Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie 1st Year setup experiences

zeighty

This is my first year. Here are a few things that might help a Newbie starting next year.

Two of the overwhelming topics below are planning and time. You cannot do enough of one and you will need more of the other. 

I know now why I saw so many post from veterans mentioning starting their setups in October and early November. 

If the info below helps one next year newbie, then it will be worth the time it took to recollect and type it. 

If you have experiences please share them... 

Merry Christmas to all! 

zeighty 

Some background: 

1 1602w Controller

CTB16PC Controller 

FM Transmitter - Fail Safe - FS-CZH-05B (works great by the way) 

USB485 adapter

S3 ver 3.9 (upgrade after Christmas show) 

LED lights - a few M6 mostly C6

Lights

1. Don't assume those that you already own will work. Test all of your strings before hanging. 
  2. Buy quality LED fully rectified strings - the difference is very significant (brighter, dimmable, etc). Mine came from Holiday 
  3. Size decision: I thought my dozen or so M6 were going to be significantly different from C6. Hard to see the difference in my show from 40 feet away. i Prefer C6 (7 & 9) over M6
  4. When connecting 2 shorter strings, be sure to overlap the gap created by the lead in and out wire; use wire ties
  5. When doing your setup and unpacking lights from bags, do not accidentally throw away a 100 White light string  :(

Controllers / Physical layout 

1. Design your physical layout early. Your logical layout you had to do to sequence properly, but your physical layout is very different. I over simplified mine in my head. Have a plan and only change it if he is absolutely necessary. 
  2. I could have saved a lot of time had I decided to mount my controllers on the side of my house before setup day. 
  3. Controller placement is important in many aspects. Safety, security and convenience. Had I completed #2 I would not have to add extension cords to most every single channel I am running, This was a "kill joy" moment for me. Almost every cable was 7-8 feet short. Over $70 in 15' extension cords required to fix this problem. 
  4. This should be at the top of this post. PLAN! PLAN! & PLAN! Then just when you think you have it... review and revise your PLAN again and again, before setup date gets here. 

Setup day and Supplies

1. Wire and vampire taps - If you plan as noted, you may be able to purchase exactly what you need. There is a little know fact that you will not know exactly what you need until you need it. I thought for 32 channels 500 feet of SPT 1 and 25 vampire taps would be enough. Now that I have used around 850 feet of wire and had to sacrifice some old cords to get plugs and outlet ends. 
  2. In addition to buying enough, by high quality vampire taps. Make sure you are buy the right ones for your wire. SPT1 taps will not work with SPT2 cable. The insulation is too thick. 
  3. Time - Hopefully you budgeted your time better than I did.  It took me over 6 hours to wire my lights. That's not hanging them. Just running the power cables. I only have 32 channels (and 4 channels are not being used). 
  4. Time - If you planned properly (which by now you know that I did not), you will have your audio gear not only available, configured and ready, but also exactly where it will be for the season. On the floor, perhaps a table or desk? 
  5. Time - what ever time you budget to do what needs to be done, double it. 
  6. If you are planning to be out of town for thanksgiving, be sure to plan for your absence. Nothing like thinking about your schedule and when you can get everything setup while you should be enjoying your time with family and friends. 
  7. Tools - Be sure you have the necessary tools available including those to cut your wire and wire ties. 
  8. Neatness - Be sure to remove the labels on your light strings. nothing like the light from across your yard reflecting off the white or silver tags on the "dark side".  May not bother you, but to me it just looks unprofessional to leave them.

• Like 3

Great post Zeighty

This was my first year.  Got a late start(late Oct/early Nov).  I started with 16 channels.  Will be expanding up to 64 channels next year. 

Planning is the key to anything you do in life.  But even more so with Christmas Displays.  The physical setup wasn't bad this year. 

Where I underestimated my time was in sequencing.  I was able to complete one sequence on my own, right around 30 hours for a 2 minute song.  Luckily I downloaded a few free sequences that I was able to quickly adjust to my layout.

I've already started planning for 2014.  New additions will be roof coverage and 1(maybe 2) spiral trees and some arches.  I'm in the process of teaching my wife and son how to sequence.  Since it was my wife's idea to go to an animated display, she needs to share in the experience. 

I will post video of my meager display soon.

Great post Zeighty

This was my first year.  Got a late start(late Oct/early Nov).  I started with 16 channels.  Will be expanding up to 64 channels next year. 

Planning is the key to anything you do in life.  But even more so with Christmas Displays.  The physical setup wasn't bad this year.  I'm not even going to talk about the extension cord nightmare. 

Where I underestimated my time was in sequencing.  I was able to complete one sequence on my own, right around 30 hours for a 2 minute song.  Luckily I downloaded a few free sequences that I was able to quickly adjust to my layout.

I've already started planning for 2014.  New additions will be roof coverage and 1(maybe 2) spiral trees and some arches.  I'm in the process of teaching my wife and son how to sequence.  Since it was my wife's idea to go to an animated display, she needs to share in the experience. 

I will post video of my meager display soon.

Zeighty, your post was excellent!  I will try to document my first time through as well and see how I do!  
I am also diving in for the first time starting next year and have started working on songs now.  I found some free one's but haven't opened them up yet to see what they are about.  Last year I spent about 40 hours on trying my first sequencing to Christmas Time Is Here (Joe Satriani's version) ... WOW this is stuff is tricky!  I got about 1/2 the song done so far. 
I know how I want to break up the channels for everything and will be having 2 breakers dedicated just for the lights.  I will definitely be buying my first controller along with a director this coming summer.  
Maybe I will post this year's picture (before sequencing) and compare it next year for the big reveal!!! 

• Like 1

Very helpful post for us newbies.  This would had helped me when I started in October.  Now I'm planning for next year already in order to get ahead of the learning curve..

Always keep a pair of cutters in one of your pockets.  And make sure to have a spare in the toolbox to replace the first one, which you'll lose a couple times at least during setup.  (I prefer 5-6" diagonal snips.)  It seems like my entire display is held together with zip ties these days and there's no tool I use more often than the cutter.

• Like 1

If you're planning to buy lights after Christmas from big box stores, Decide ahead of time what white you want to use and what bulb size works best for your needs.  This may help prevent buying stuff that doesn't fit your design.  Buy enough lites to do the entire element, if your short a few strings, next years lights may not match what you bought this year or not available.

great stuff!

My wife and I have been talking about/planning how we are going to animate display for next year. I have a 16 channel controler already, got it from a friend, I still have to buy the software... I have been playing with the trial version a bit.

Newbie as well, first year for myself. Can't agree more regarding planning! I started just before Halloween and barely finished just before the start of the Christmas season. Only took me two weekends to get the lights up but planning is key. For me most of the time was spent on the sequencing. The sequencing would of been harder if I hadn't planned in advance this year. Made a few mistakes and learned the hard way on some things like future proofing your sequencing for next years display. But like everyone says, most of the time you learn from your mistakes.

• Like 1

Another first year newbie in very much agreement with this post and I thought I had enough time when I jumped in and bought 4 controllers in the spring sale. My mistake was thinking I had enough time and didn't mess with Christmas light stuff through the summer. Well lets just say tonight will be the first night my show gets to actually run. I even took days off from work to get it done in time but work kept calling me back in so much for taking days off. Hopefully I have learned from my mistakes this year so next years show will get to run at the first of December. Oh and 64 channels on the first year is a lot of work when your new. If I had to do it over I would not have started so big.

• Like 1

Thank you Zeighty for this post.

I am looking to build a show for next year, not many here in the Netherlands, so I'll be snooping around here a lot.

I'll take your advice (plan,plan,plan) at heart and start soon enough, I hope. :)

• Like 1

It takes more time then you think. Allow for this extra time.

My first year I did a small Halloween display, this allowed me to test well in advance.

2 is 1

1 is none.

Have backups.

I got a spare USB-ethernet connector for my LOR setup when I realized how easy it would be to step on this and be SOL for the whole display for need of a $25 part.

For next year I will have a spare controller.

Buy more SPT than you think you will need.... asn extra reel of spt is probably cheaper than needing to buy a dozen cords at the last minute at HomeDepot (or whoever still has them!)

• Like 1

I am quietly following along as I think this will be my year (2014) to finally take the next lighting step.  Thanks for the good posts and things I may and probably didn't think of...

• 4 weeks later...

Lights

1. Buy quality LED fully rectified strings - the difference is very significant (brighter, dimmable, etc). Mine came from Holiday 

If you're planning to buy lights after Christmas from big box stores, Decide ahead of time what white you want to use and what bulb size works best for your needs.  This may help prevent buying stuff that doesn't fit your design.  Buy enough lites to do the entire element, if your short a few strings, next years lights may not match what you bought this year or not available.

A very nice post by zeighty.  I disagree with the full-wave recommendation.  I use almost exclusively half-wave from big-box stores (which BTW: can be returned with a receipt for up to 90 days at most stores).

Pros:

Sealed (ideally will not corrode or have to replace bulbs)

Full-wave (some people say that they look better, they DO show up better in videos and photos)

Fully Dimmable

• Compare that to 140 half-wave lights from Big Lots bought after Christmas for $4.50 plus tax ($4.77 total for 140 bulbs).

Pros:

Price (you can replace your sets 11 times before these cost more than the full-wave).

Fully Dimmable

Bulbs are replaceable

I am on my third year with the Big Lots lights.  One day before my show ended it was very windy and one section of 70 lights didn't work.  After taking them down, I tested all my lights and found 6 bad bulbs.  The leads to the LEDs were corroded.  I expect more to be corroded next year.  No biggie for me.

This is my first year too...

I did something different and brought in some cool stage equipment. Yes, I had to build enclosures that waterproofed them, but for under 50.00 it really creates a neat Star effect in RGB on the house.

Lesson learned:

Spend the time to make sure the visualizer matches your display. I spent many late nights from 11p-4a programming the show and running it to see how things would look.

Allow for time to sequence: I did not allow enough time to sequence...I am starting now on 2014's sequences.

Planning: Draw out the lighting Plot in Visio or on a large sheet of Paper. I used different colors and pen styles to show the wiring as well as the fixture.

Expensive Lesson learned: if you haven't bought lights, go check prices before buying on the different styles. I started with the LED Energy Star M5 lights (look like a dot, not the old fashioned Christmas light style) and the cost is considerably larger.  The budget just flew out the window!

Save up money during the year, especially now that we are beginning a new year... the Christmas light sales only happen 2x a year unless you order from China direct. (Ray Wu doesn't carry standard Christmas lights...LOL)

and the last 2 big lessons learned:

1)  WARNING! This Hobby can cause missed time with loved ones, marriage to a computer and the "Blinky Flashy" addiction. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! :)

2) The Blinky Flashy Addiction: There is no 12 step program at this time for this addiction. Please buy more lights and controllers.   :)

• Like 1

Good suggestion on the extra pair of snips, I do telecom wiring for a living and may I suggest a pair of scissors, They can be found at any of the big box hardware stores and are made by Kline. For a little more get the splicers kit which is a belt pouch, scissors and a splicers knife. The pouch is all of the difference, it is a place to put your tools other than the ground.

Ok! Christmas is over!!! But now I'm working on next year.  This was my first year.  I was quite pleased with my amature results.  I ordered 1 16 channel controller and set things up with some prepurchased sequences and it was just OK. Within a week I had ordered and set up another 16 channels and did some light adding on a weekend. Was not fully satisfied but of course, I did not do alot of planning just kind of slapped it together.  Well, I thought ok not bad for an unplanned 1st try! But our town for the first time had a synchronized light show on the square and paid BIG BUCKS for it.  Well people were telling me they thought my light show was much more entertaining and impressive.  Well to say the least that made me feel good. So I'm now working on truly designing and planning for next year, will be adding 16 more channels to a total of 48 and am seriously looking at RGB's but don't really understand if they will work with my CTB16PC or will I need a special controller for RGB strips? If anybody knows the answer to that I'd appreciate it.  By the way I found that programming sequences works great to use SuperStar to do a preliminary Instant Sequence, Export to Sequencer and then do modifications.