Light-O-Rama Forums

Visualizer? What's that?

ScottyMo

Just kidding! It is a great tool!

However, because my entire display is using 12v led strips and modules, I decided to make a scale model of my house and wire it up with lights and controllers.

Since I'm a newbie, it allowed me to essentially do a dry run with my controller setups, wiring, etc. Plus it allowed me to see what the actual light colors will look like.

It is 270 channels, using 10 27 channel DMX controllers I ordered from Ray Wu. (Kevin's store has them now too)

This is what my house actually looks like... (The tree in the middle is no longer there)

post-10088-0-30170600-1347140100_thumb.j

Here is the scale plywood model...

post-10088-0-30143600-1347140103_thumb.j

Behind the scenes... (a little messy)

post-10088-0-49901400-1347140101_thumb.j

post-10088-0-46120100-1347140102_thumb.j

Here is a video of one of my christmas sequences. (Quality is not great)

https://vimeo.com/49023270

It has miniture versions of the backlit singing faces, as per this post...

http://forums.lighto...-singing-faces/

ScottyMo

Edited by ScottyMo

Wow, that is insa..., er, ummm, IMPRESSIVE, yeah, that's what I said, impressive! I particularly like your plexi faces, you get a lot of expression out of 5 channels. After spending a few days sequencing and dealing with the laggy animation window I can understand your desire to model it. Cool.

Cool Video and nice little model.

Now that's giving me some idea's for when I finally start building my O gauge model train layout in its permanent home! :)

ScottyMo... YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND! ( :D welcome to the club! :D )

Great Job!!!!!! I'm sure that was a lot of work. There will no wondering how its really gonna look! High Five!

After spending a few days sequencing and dealing with the laggy animation window I can understand your desire to model it. Cool.

If you are talking about the Visualizer, the secret is to reduce the dimensions of the stage. Edit big, simulate small(er).

...and to stay on topic, the model is awesome!

That is awesome! Ive been sequencing that same glee cast song as well to 4 singing tree faces. I remember thinking this song was perfect for multiple singing faces. Great minds think alike.

that is way too cool!!

i thought i had ocd. I wanted to sequence rgb megatrees so i wrote nutcracker, You want to get a way to visualize your show and you build that model.

i am ocd junior

thanks for sharing

When I first got my controllers, I made a model of my house. I realized it would become way to complicated as I added channels...

post-4120-0-98816200-1347165599_thumb.jp

Thanks for the positive feedback.

The model itself took less than 2 hours to build. I just used some scrap plywood I had lying around. The wiring obviously took longer :) . It took about a week of working a couple of hours a night. I built it back in April and used it exclusively for sequencing all of my songs. (5 Halloween, and 5 Christmas)

Since I am a newbie it was a great exercise to allow me to learn, and provide me the experience, for when I assemble the full scale version.

My wife wasn’t thrilled that I had it set up on our dining room table for 4 months while I sequenced. But when I pointed out that it was nicer to have me upstairs, and accessible, on the main floor instead of hiding out down in the basement computer room, she came around :D

The model only uses about 2.5 strips of leds. My actual display uses about 300 feet (20 strips). Also, for the model, I used the 60 leds\m instead of the 30 leds\m because it allows them to be cut about every 2 inches instead of about every 4 inches, and I needed the smaller cut intervals for the small size model.

ScottyMo

• The topic was locked