Light-O-Rama Forums

Led To Rgb Conversion Packages

Chagoi

Hi everyone, I am reading so much about rgb, that I am becomming more confused than ever. I ran a show with a couple controllers last year (the LOR 16pc) and I learned the sequencer, visualizer, etc.. so I get that whole part of the hobby.

I have an opportunity to either expand from 32 channels to 174 channels or move to mostly rgb. I really want to go rgb on the house. Roof, windows, doors and then led on trees, arches. I saw a house with all rgb this year and did not like certain parts. Anyways, I have read the aussie site, and about half a dozen others, watched videos, PDF's, powerpoints. What I am looking for is a website where there are rgb packages for sale? It would include all that is needed. I am not grasping all of the seperation of dongles, adapters, controllers, power supplies, etc...

I just want to have 40ft runs of rgb strips that will tie into my LOR setup. I want to change the colors of the strips and have it function just like 2x21ft led strings. In all the madness out here, I cannot figure out WTF I need?

Guest wbottomley

Hi everyone, I am reading so much about rgb, that I am becomming more confused than ever. I ran a show with a couple controllers last year (the LOR 16pc) and I learned the sequencer, visualizer, etc.. so I get that whole part of the hobby.

I have an opportunity to either expand from 32 channels to 174 channels or move to mostly rgb. I really want to go rgb on the house. Roof, windows, doors and then led on trees, arches. I saw a house with all rgb this year and did not like certain parts. Anyways, I have read the aussie site, and about half a dozen others, watched videos, PDF's, powerpoints. What I am looking for is a website where there are rgb packages for sale? It would include all that is needed. I am not grasping all of the seperation of dongles, adapters, controllers, power supplies, etc...

I just want to have 40ft runs of rgb strips that will tie into my LOR setup. I want to change the colors of the strips and have it function just like 2x21ft led strings. In all the madness out here, I cannot figure out WTF I need?

I understand you have read a lot of RGB related articles, post, and topics. I guess you didn't read the part about the Cosmic Color Pixels? I would start there if you're wanting something simple and easy.

Yeah, unfortunately there are no "ready to go" packages besides the LOR products. Unless you're willing to spend big bucks to get some professional stuff (would probalby be DMX) you're going to have to do some toying and mixing/matching of hardwares to accomplish your purpose.

If you don't want to go the LOR route, it's most likely going to have to be DMX. Seasonal Entertainment and Holiday Coro are two familiar sites that come to mind which offer DIY/semi-ready to go products, but none with RGB strips as you're wanting. You're going to have to get RBG strips/lights from somewhere, be that eBay, or a common Chinese retailer, RayWu. Even with that, you're still going to have to convert things to DMX. I would suggest a helpful site, Light Up Lawrence for quite a bit of indepth information on 'dumb' RGB devices.

Unfortunately the RGB route isn't yet a "ready to go" route -- it is still in the hands of a lot of DIYers that are developing products for the small budget hobbyist user. If you're looking for something more than what LOR offers, it's most likely going to require a bit of research and a DIY mentality in order to accomplish your purpose.

There is another way. Of course LOR has CCR, CCP, and CCF, and every other CC? combination coming out or already out. This is a direct plug in to the LOR hardware and software, the sequencing is up to you. Well you can get the CCR tree sequences as well for a price and have a very entertaining show. This isnt the lowest priced route mind you, but if a pixel goes bad, something doesnt work right, and if its all LOR hardware, you will get it fixed and fast. I stand behind the LOR help desk and my computer wouldnt allow me to do certain things (isolated to me) and the crew made software just for me to make it work. This is a company who stands by my lack of soldering ability as well.

Now there is RayWu pixels, strips, and hardware. Hes a great guy, great prices. If something goes wrong he will try to fix it, but usually requires another order or shipping, he is in China. His stuff I have had isolated issues with but he does what he can to help out. To integrate with LOR is up to me to figure out. There are a ton of threads, help me files, as well FastEddy has an amazing DIY guide. This is not for the timid as you have to make it work. If you call LOR and tell them you have 5000 pixels, whatever brand of DMX controllers, and xnamed power supplies, all they can really do it help with software as there are so many variables to make it all work. They will help you as much as they can even with the outside equippment but there is only so much you can do.

Now there is a third option. As you mentioned you saw Kevins house and pumpkins. Did you know he now has a LOR supported store? Did you know he will show you how to integrate RGB into your display? He will show you the way, you just have to follow. Ive had a few good chats with him myself, and when get gets home from holiday I will be buying a few DIY things from him myself. If you want RGB, you want to do as he did, why not ask the man himself? He even stated he will he selling his sequences, I can already tell you Im on baord for those as well. If like the color change strips, but not ready for the individual bulbs like some of us are jumping into, then contact him later this week. I did a year ago, and he helped me out as well.

Dont forget all the videos you can find here. Harrison5050 posted some, Holiday Coro has some, you will find many of the ol timers here doing RGB as well such as Jeff who is a gold mine of info. Look up his threads and you will see many DIY products, William, Donny, MAX, JIm, and the list goes on. If I left you out its not intentional just setting the pace as the guys who have been here know most of what goes on. Keep a close on the forum, as very soon the LOR DIY world is about to exploded with the next update. I dont know when that is, I just know its a big deal.

Regardless of the long post the most important thing is to use the search bar and READ!

Greg over at Seasonal Entertainment helped me tremendously. I was missing something in my limited brain. He explained it in a dumbed down way that I finally started understanding. He also has some great documentation you can download and read some more on. Holidaycoro has some great info also in the form of videos.

I was overwhelmed when I first started to read up on it. I have a little better understanding of it now, thanks to Greg and all the other info.

It seems daunting, but its not that hard after you understand the workings if it.

Hope this helps.

Ron

LOR is ideal for you if you just want plug and play with RGB, you have the CCR, the CCP, and the RGB floods so no excuse to not get into RGB. Yes you will be paying a lot more with LOR but you get great support and warranty. With most of the DIY options you will require time to invest into learning and understanding the choices available. and how it all goes together. So if your not willing to put in the learning time or are struggling understanding it all then just stay with LOR. At least with LOR if you choose in future years to goto a DIY solution then LOR easily allows that path because LOR controllers also natively supporting DMX so you LOR investment is not wasted.

• Like 1