Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding RGBW C9s to my roof. Group or stagger the bulbs?

imacericg

I plan to outline my roof with C9 bulbs and have four colors planned: Red, Green, Blue and White (running a line for each color), for color changing effects.

Should I group the bulbs (making the bulb change less noticeable) or should I stagger the bulbs (making everything even).

Attached files 319249=17404-rgb.gif

I would stagger them...but I like things symmetrical...

unless your groupings had no gap between them.

Bottom line...do what you like best and what will fit your roof-line spacing...

I had RGBW C7s on my roof last year. I like the 'chase' effect you get when switching colors. Putting 4 strands on the roof is a royal pain. I developed a pretty neat system, though. I'll post a photo when I get home if you would like to see it.

LORi P wrote:

I had RGBW C7s on my roof last year. I like the 'chase' effect you get when switching colors. Putting 4 strands on the roof is a royal pain. I developed a pretty neat system, though. I'll post a photo when I get home if you would like to see it.

Yes please!

LORi P wrote:

Yes, would love to see it, I plan on doing this as well. Thanks !

Jerry and imacerig, I finally have a few minutes to post some pics.

My C7 lights are 8 inches apart. I mounted the four light strings on vinyl siding J channel. The J channel was a great fit for my lights because the little slits are 2 inches apart. And I had 4 colors of lights.

Slide the clip on the light into the slit, then twist the light perpendicular to the J channel.
channel3.jpg
Alternate colors as you move down the strip attaching more bulbs. This is a picture of a completed section of J channel. Also shown here are two of the clips I used to attach the strips to the shingles.
channel2.jpg
This is the underside of the J channel strip.
channel1.jpg
This is what they look like on the roof.
roof2.jpg
roof1.jpg
garage1.jpg
And when the season is done, they stack nicely in the garage!

One of the down-sides of this system was that my light strings are 14 ft long and the J channel is 12 ft long, so I had to cut a small strip of J channel to make up the difference.

Let me know if you have questions.

• Like 1

Thanks Lori !!, Like the storage system,really neat. You've given me some ideas for a modular approach. I hope mine turns out as good as yours cool.gif . I appreciate all your posts ,they've been very helpful. Jerry

Working on an approach with the Lite Clip Strips, and Nylon webbing to make the set up really quick and painless. Got the strips yesterday, my nylon and hardware should be here today...I will take some pictures of what the concept is, as I have tried many methods the last 6 years, and haven't had the modular ease I was hoping for...but I think with the help of my neighbors engineering mind, this may be the ticket! First year is definitely going to be a little extra work, but should be a snap for future years!

If you have never used lite clip strips, I'm a big fan of them http://www.liteclipstrip.com/ Not horribly expensive, at 1.70 for five feet. Used them last year around my windows and garage doors, and made my roof line & gutters look bad, even though I had the lights all pointed the same direction, because it was so uniform, so have to do the roof line and gutters this year with them.