Light-O-Rama Forums

Sprial Tree

trafficman

My spiral tree that want to add this year is 30 feet tall and 100 foot around the base. I would like to do One and Half rotation so my questions are.

1. How long would the string need to be?
2. How many inches apart if I do a 16 channel LOR on this.

I am adding this on a 64 channel all four color tree. I already have 256 strings of lights on this tree now.

Thanks,
Jeff

sorry wanted to add, this is a link Jim had on his site. Pretty easy tool. Used your idea and the math is insane for the light strings.

100 foot base is a 31 foot diameter, thats a monster of a tree.

Yea. I know Borther in Law tested it several ways and that was the best look we came up with. Do most do 1 rotation or 1.5 rotation? Sorry about the video but was first time I used the camera..

Jeff

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I do 2 rotations.
Please send me a link so I can see your video.

Wow.. I like that Video and the tree does great with the spiral. Can you share that sequence with me? Thanks again Gary !!

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I do 2 rotations.

I like the two rotations in the dual layer tree effect.
Are both 16 channels?
(Inner spiral and outer straight layer?)

Thanks,
Randy

I have 64 channels on the mega tree now. 16 white, 16 red, 16 green and 16 multi. 4 lines of 150 mini's to each channel. This gives me a string rotaion to each channel. One heck of a mega tree. Due to the size I may have to use to LOR boxes to do the spiral over this tree. Wonder when I put the spiral over the top of the 64 channels if any would be blocked on the slices as they rotate.

Gary Blair wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
I do 2 rotations.

How many strands where used for the sprial?

OneHotRT59 wrote:
I like the two rotations in the dual layer tree effect.
Are both 16 channels?
(Inner spiral and outer straight layer?)

Thanks,
Randy

The mega-tree (vertical straight strands) is a 16 channel tree. Breakdown is 8ch white, and 4ch red (up and over) and 4ch green (up and over). 3 strings per wedge.

The spiral tree is also 16 channels. 2 strings connected end-to-end to form a single line per channel. Each line does a full 2 revolutions (720 degrees). So if Ch1 starts at the 9 o'clock position at the top, it also finishes at the 9 o'clock position at the base ring. Ch9 starts/stops on the opposite side (180 degrees apart) at 3 o'clock. These are laying directly on top of the vertical mega-tree strands.

Attached is my mega-spiral sequence for WIW.

Attached files 2011_WIW_Mega-Spiral_tree32ch v1.lms