Light-O-Rama Forums

Created my first show in 7 days

Gilrock

A couple weekends ago we had a neighborhood hayride that takes you around to see the Christmas lights. I got the idea that I wanted to automate lights at my house like a neighbor I had when I was a kid. So on Dec 20th this year I searched online and landed on the Light-O-Rama website. I figured I was too late for this year but I ordered the 16 channel starter kit and to my surprise it shipped out the same day. So I spent the last week sequencing songs and wiring up lights. I really wanted an arch so I used up 7 of the 16 channels on the arch. I also added lights to a nativity JOY sign I had cutout and my wife painted. I don't have a ton of lights but this really was fun. The UPS truck arrived with my controller yesterday around 4:30pm and within 90 minutes I had my first show up and running.

I sequenced 2 songs and I'm really proud of my 12 year old son who sequenced a 3rd song, Wizards in Winter. I installed all the software on his PC so he could work on the song while I was working on others. He wasn't quite done so we had to cut his song a little short.

Also I was sequencing the Amazing Grace song similar to what I saw on Holdman's display. I bought the song from iTunes and my 12 year old said "Dad that guy rearranged that song from 3 different sections. The bells at the start where he twinkles the star are from a later part in the song and he stops the song halfway but uses the sound from the end when the song stops." So I checked it out and he was dead on. So I remixed the song myself to make those edits and it turned out really nice. I can't believe he spots things like that.

Anyways here's the 3 songs we sequenced...I know it's simple but we were so excited outside watching it last night:

TSO - Carol of the Bells

Amazing Grace

TSO - Wizards in Winter (sequenced by my 12 year old son)

Thanks for watching,
Gil Jones

You did all that with 16 channels? Looks great and you two did a darn good job! I gotta rethink my 32 channels now! BTW, YouTube took down the Wizards video in case you didn't know.

Nice start. Imagine what you can do once you put some time into it. Make sure you get involved here on the forums and contribute where you can. Many here post vids on www.vimeo.com to bypass the music being blocked.

Yeah I just got the video unblocked. It was weird cause it wasn't blocked when I clicked on my link but it was when my wife tried it on her PC so I followed the instructions in another thread I saw here. I'll have to check into Vimeo...I had never heard of that site.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Nice start. Imagine what you can do once you put some time into it. Make sure you get involved here on the forums and contribute where you can. Many here post vids on www.vimeo.com to bypass the music being blocked.

Yeah I didn't find these forums till a few days after I ordered. In fact it got me disappointed because I ordered the FM transmitter from the light-o-rama website then found posts on this forum saying it's junk. It's still on the UPS truck. So I went out to Best Buy and got Insignia rock speakers for $99 and a Insignia receiver for $79 and it worked great for providing some sound outside.

I ordered in such a rush I got surprised when I opened up the box yesterday. I for some reason thought I was getting the consumer version since it was a starter kit and when I opened the box I said "Wow..this is really nice it looks like the Pro version". So I went back and checked my order and sure enough that's what I ordered. But I didn't mind this thing is built really nice.

Great job! I'm a little jealous - your son's first sequence looks better than my first one did! Can't wait to see what you two come up with when you have a little more time to work on it. Happy New Year!

• The topic was locked