Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween Face Sequence (Bad Things)

B-Rock

This is my second attempt at creating a Halloween face sequence. I used the HBO series True Blood theme, Bad Things by Jace Everett. I have posted the sequence on LOR Sequences. This is a 7-Channel sequence.

http://lightoramasequences.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,42/func,fileinfo/id,596/

Let me know what you think of it. Trust me I can take the criticism. :D

Thanks
Brock

B-Rock wrote:

This is my second attempt at creating a Halloween face sequence. I used the HBO series True Blood theme, Bad Things by Jace Everett. I have posted the sequence on LOR Sequences. This is a 7-Channel sequence.

http://lightoramasequences.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,42/func,fileinfo/id,596/

Let me know what you think of it. Trust me I can take the criticism. :)

Thanks
Brock

Brock,

I checked out your sequence. I'm not here to criticize...only to help. I'm no expert by any means when it comes to how the mouth movement should look, but I wanted to point out a couple of things that could make it look more natural flowing...IMO. Some of yours and others I've seen seem to "chop" from word to word without flowing or transitioning. Unfortunately, sometimes that is very hard when you only have 5 positions to work with (I'm thinking about adding a 6th and maybe 7th position to mine to help with that). Also another important item...getting the word timing down is 75% the battle. Its noticeable when you hear the word start and see the sequence for that word start a quarter second later. I took the first 38 sec of your sequence and changed it to how I would do it if it was mine. Took me about 45min to do it. I probably missed a few things, but I would say its 90% ready for me. Again...please don’t hate...only trying to help.

First, I think the cell times you choose are too difficult to work with especially with the many changes as you replay over and over and move things around. Keeping the timing the same at 0.05 all the way has worked great for me. I think it’s easier to add and remove. I had a hard time trying to change yours so I converted all to 0.05.

Fade from one word to the next helps on the slower words, but don’t fade too long...you will see both position at the same time. Nor too short...you won’t see the fade at all. Pick a happy medium. Depending on the words or the speed of the words, sometimes cross the fades so 1 or 2 cell are on at the same time.

Sometimes you may need to use a position for a word that doesn't necessary look like that sounding word, but say you have a "Oh" and "To" and "You" next to each other. Kinda difficulty to use 3 "O" position back to back to back. So sometimes you may want to use a different position for the shortest time wise of the 3.

Make your mouth open and close fast on longer syllable words like "Ev-ery-bo-dy" (Full open-E-Full open-E). Depending on how fast the word is sang, you would only use 2 or 3 cells per syllable. I also think its okay to use 2 different positions with only 1 syllable word like "Out". The "Ou” part of the word is kinds full open, but the "ut" is kinda a O position. So fill in the 2 cells at the beginning of the word with full open and then the rest of the word at the O position. Kinda gives that full wide open to O look. But again depends on the speed of the word. If the word is only 4 cells long..then this wont work. 7, 8 or more cells...yes it will.

This song I "downloaded" timing was a little different than yours. I think it was about 1 sec diff at the beginning so I had to edit so I could see how yours looks. Your mp3 file may be a little off , but it's now an easy adjustment since I convert all to 0.05 timing. Just cut and paste all and either move forward or back.

Kevin

Attached files Bad_Things renew.lms

That definitely flows much better. I can see where mine is choppy now. Thank very much on your advice on timing and how to break down the syllable.

I will be reworking the first sequence I did based on your guidance.

Thanks again.

Brock

Cracker,

So as I was starting to re-work my sequence, there are questions that I need to ask...

I understand the .05 timing but how do you know where to begin the light sequences? Do you just 'wing it' or do you use any of the wizards to start?

Thanks, Brock

B-Rock wrote:

Cracker,

So as I was starting to re-work my sequence, there are questions that I need to ask...

I understand the .05 timing but how do you know where to begin the light sequences? Do you just 'wing it' or do you use any of the wizards to start?

Thanks, Brock

Well this is how I do it, depending on wether the song is "instrumental" (no vocals) or vocal.

With the vocals I will usually use one of these two methods(or both), both entail starting with a wizard.

Depending on my mood, I may start with the tapper wizard and tap to each syllable of the words in the song, or I may start with the VU wizard and start by playing the song and setting the block to where every time a word is sung, to turn on the channel selected.

Either one is useable, although I usually use the tapper wizard for better and more accurate taps to the words, then go back after and clean up the channel by playing the sequence, finding which areas I am "off" at, and then fix those areas so they match up as exact as I can get them.

If it's instrumental, then I use the VU Wizard and try to get the "beat" of the song or use the beat wizard and let it do it, both work, and, again, you will need to go back and "clean up" the sequence (channel) you just set up.

No matter how you do it, even if you do it manually by listening to the song and turning the channel on at key points, once each channel is done, it will need to be "tweaked" or "cleaned" as you will find that no matter how you start it, it will never be 100% right out. Sequences always take added work, but that to me is half the fun of doing it, to get it all to work as smoothly, and with as good a flow of the song/music that I can get. But even when you think you have it all completed, you'll *always* find something you want to "enhance" or "tweak" in the sequence!

Have fun.

B-Rock wrote:

Cracker,

Thanks, Brock

I've never used the tap wizard as Orville suggested, but may be an option. I'll try it one of these days. What I do is create a unassigned row just above the mouth seq rows, pick the play range as visible screen and then listen to the song at 1/4 speed. I click on a single cell in the unassigned row to mark the beginning of every word including the syllables. The go back and start filling out the rows for the positions.