Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Show business?

Brad Ford

I just finished my first animated light show with all LOR equipment. 128 channels with 47,000 lights. All donations went to the American Cancer Society in moms name because we lost her to cancer this past year. It was a success. So much so that now I have some local businesses wanting me to do a display for them next year. After talking with my brother about this we've decided to start a side business doing light decorating. Main problem is we have no idea what to charge for rental on all the equipment it takes to run an automated light show. Anybody have any ideas??? I sure would appreciate any input.....

thanks in advance

I would contact a lor partner their names are orange, I know they do some bigg displays and may be able to help you out

With any business you would need to get some idea of what your expenses are going to be. If your not making enough to cover expenses, your losing money. (Obvious, I know.)

You'd also need to consider your time. How much will you charge for that?

Once you have an idea what your time and expenses are going to cost, you can start setting prices for your services. (Rentals, programming, installation, removal, storage or anything else you may decided to do.)

Don wrote:

and after you figure all that up...you'll probably realize very few people will be able to afford your services... :shock:

jimswinder wrote:

Don wrote:

and after you figure all that up...you'll probably realize very few people will be able to afford your services... :shock:

thats the truth,lots of time goes into this hobby

True, the average individual would not want to spend $5000 to $10,000 for the show, but I've already got 2 commercial businesses that I've floated some big numbers to and they didn't even flinch. As a matter of fact their response was "When do we need to get started?" Which makes me think "Did I shoot too low?" .....lol

jimswinder wrote:

Or, after adjusting your prices, you realize that you're working for $1.95/hour. ...like most artists I know.

Steven wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

Or, after adjusting your prices, you realize that you're working for $1.95/hour. ...like most artists I know.

I WISH I made that much!!!:)

Well, I may adjust prices a bit, but not so much as to render it unreasonable. I'll just stick with the hobby part if that happens...lol but I really think there's a bit of money to be made here. Maybe not purely off the animated shows but also putting up static displays....

This isn't an answer to what you are asking, but just as important.

I hope you are thinking about the legal aspects of this business from both angles... your liability and the customer's liability. Obviously these issues vary from state to state. If you were doing this in California, I would not want you to do anything on my property unless I saw proof of workman's comp insurance. I would not want to be sued by a contractor to do any kind of work and isn't insured.

Also - do not forget about copyrights for the music you may use. While most of our residential displays are "personal", "commercial" uses as your suggesting - should also include all and any necessary licence fees to use that music in a public setting !

As much as I love the Hobby, I know if I ever made a Job / Service out of it, it would loose a little bit of the "joy"

Its FUN because I want to do it. Its just not quite as fun when I HAVE TO do it.

As for price, I would call some decorating or lighting companies, ask them to quote your house. There are lots of companies where I live that do provide this service (mostly for static displays) but any pro lighting company will have DMX dimmer packs, and boards to controll it.

Also dont forget the Pro controllers. The customer & / or insurence company will probably want only UL Listed devices. I have also had an occasional venu tell me zip cord was not allowed.

I am in the holiday lighting business, so ask away. We are not big in terms of animated displays, although we do them on and off. We are much more involved in light installation.
Neil

Neil Amin wrote:

.... We are not big in terms of animated displays, although we do them on and off.... Neil

That was a good one Neil! :D

(I don't feel it was intended, but it worked out perfectly.)