Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Musical fountain

t.vanhouts

Hey all,

I been hinking to build a musical fountain. Has anyone done this already? Iam thinking of a big tube with nozzles that will open and shut by some kid off switch that also can dim the waterflow. At this time I have no clue what kind of switch/valves can be used to do this.

Searching the internet there are not many musical fountains build at home to find. Maybe someone has some ideas for me. I will give it a try if the time lets me.

With antifrost we can use it with christmas HAHA:D.

Looking forward to see the suggestions........

On LOR's list of upcoming products is a fountain controller. Nothing official on the release date or information, but from the limited introductions, it will be very cool, here is what I have heard:

The LOR fountain controller board will basically self contained, in the sense that it will have several control ports for controlling LED lights and a different set for standard fountain pumps.

The “dimming” or speed control of the pumps is included on the board so you could vary the water flow to the fountain jets. The board is LOR compatible, so any sequencing would be the same as other LOR products. I’m sure there are lots of other features available. I am looking forward to its release.

I didn't know till now that they was allready some information about it. I'll looking forward to see more of this. To me it looks very cool to try it out.

Thanks guys

Don't quote me on this, but I think the slow down on this was finding the right pumps to use with the controller. They were looking for magnet synchronous pumps, which are commonly found, but they wanted to make sure things were working correctly. There is a post somewhere on here from John explaining what they were looking for. This statement on the data sheet jogged my memory....

"This controller was designed for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motors. These are the type commonly found in pond and fountain pumps used in residential applications. These pumps are very efficient and reli- able, but they require a Variable Frequency Drive controller to modulate their speed. Do not use ordinary lighting controllers for this purpose."

I use these pumps in my water garden/koi pond and have used LOR controllers to control them. A water display has been on my list for years and I think this year will be the year to actually do it(I have said that before too).

I wouldn't hold your breath on the fountain controller either. They announced it years ago and we are still waiting. Frankly, I would rather see the other 256 channels released for iDMX.

Ponddude wrote:

Frankly, I would rather see the other 256 channels released for iDMX.

LOL..

WHY!?!?!?

Just because your "Christmas Fountain" would be frozen solid during your Christmas Shows??? LOL

Just think how neat it would look!!!
All those flashing lights emitting from a frozen ice sculpture!!

OK, i'll throw it out there. Been thinking for a year to do something in the "Winter".
Yes, look at my location, it gets kind-of cold here. I was thinking, I use aerators in our commercial and residential ponds to keep Ice away. My design would be, make a tub like structure, with only about 12" of water. Than install enough aerators to keep tub from freezing solid when it gets down in the teens. Just some food for thought...or is that vis-versa...

t.vanhouts wrote:

Hey all,

I been hinking to build a musical fountain. Has anyone done this already? Iam thinking of a big tube with nozzles that will open and shut by some kid off switch that also can dim the waterflow. At this time I have no clue what kind of switch/valves can be used to do this.

Searching the internet there are not many musical fountains build at home to find. Maybe someone has some ideas for me. I will give it a try if the time lets me.

With antifrost we can use it with christmas HAHA:D.

Looking forward to see the suggestions........

You might want to contact Bill Vanderslice for suggestions/advice (uses LOR). To be fair though, he is in Florida so it is a tad warmer.

His 2009 video
http://www.youtube.com/user/waterbill2 (water starts at 1:28)

http://www.christmasdancingwaters.com/

LOR profile: http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/users/6518.html

His PlanetChristmas profile http://forums.planetchristmas.com/member.php?u=1129

Vic Fortenbach wrote:

The LOR fountain controller board will basically self contained, in the sense that it will have several control ports for controlling LED lights and a different set for standard fountain pumps.

I am sure Mr. Jeff will be the first to buy this LED fountain.:P:D

Max-Paul wrote:

Would brime be pump friendly?

Salt water is very corrosive, so I would make sure the pumps are either plastic or have 316 Stainless (not 304) parts.