Light-O-Rama Forums

Non-Christmas Sequences

JTowbin

Ok, so Christmas is comming around the corner and i've pretty much finished allmy sequences.As i was listening to all my songs I sequenced I kinda got bored and started thinking about adding some "Hit" or modern songs (i.e. Lady Gaga, Owl City) and all around classic songs to kinda combat the typical christmas songs.

Anyone thought of this too or actually sequenced some Non-Christmas Songs??

Robin (RidgeHarborLights) switches from his Christmas show to his New Year's show right after Christmas..

Others, like George also mix in "non-Christmas" music.

I also do a 4th July show and a Halloween show.

This year I upped my Christmas percentage to 2/3.

Still have non Christmas
Bond Explosive
Reflections of Earth
Gladiator Theme
Lovely Love My Family

Do it ... many viewers will love it. Some won't. I made my show all about non-traditional in 2008 and they seemed very popular overall.

George, your display is AWESOME ... extremely original and creative !!!

Looking at your display videos seems to open up new ideas in what is possible.

Love the Peter Gunn ...

http://vimeo.com/8268541

Thank you all for the kind words. Christmas music is definitely topical this time of year, but I decided that doesn't mean the display needs to be ONLY Christmas music. Oddly enough, I've seen more people drive away during Christmas with a Capital C than I have during Time. Go figure...

Linda and Victor - I've also done Brain Damage / Eclipse from Dark Side of the Moon. Unfortunately, few people have seen it since I use it as my closing sequence each night. But I recorded it last night and I hope to get the video posted later today or tonight after the shows end. And after Friday when most of the Santa Claus and specific Christmas music goes away, it will move to a more prominent place in the nightly lineup. Thanks again for the kind words. Merry Christmas!

I think it depends where you live to. I live in a more traditional Village and folks here like Christmas Music.

My wife wanted me to remove some sequences that were non-Christmas and so I did. Actually made the show better.

I do however have "I like to move It" and a "fifth Of Beethoven" and folks like them. I also did a 21.38 minute "How The Grinch Stole Christmas sequence" and placed it on a SD card to run it via the mini MP3 player/Director unit and it works good.

I did the 21.38 minute sequence mostly for the family.

Should not be a problem. I have a couple Pirates of the Caribbean in my song list this year and they look better than a third of my Christmas ones. Stick with upbeat faster tempo as that seems to be what most like to watch. Even my Oh come All Ye Faithful is Twisted Sister's version. The slowest stuff I have is Bob Seger's Little Drummer Boy and TSO's Christmas Canon.

Lenny

Linda, Victor -

It's posted on Vimeo. I'm hoping to get a better effort posted because I actually think I'm getting better with the camera, but with the dumping of snow we're getting (up to 20") there might not be a whole lot in the yard visible anymore. Merry Christmas!

George Simmons wrote:

Linda, Victor -

It's posted on Vimeo. I'm hoping to get a better effort posted because I actually think I'm getting better with the camera, but with the dumping of snow we're getting (up to 20") there might not be a whole lot in the yard visible anymore. Merry Christmas!

I know the feeling. I had to shovel 20 inches from the front yard so that folks can see the mini trees.

At least you are not freezing your but of in (-49F) weather.

By the way you can find the Grinch story on page 6 at www.lorsequences.com

I forgot that I had the "Pirates Of The Caribbeans" LMS..... long version I need to add it to the show tonight.

Are you sharing that Pink Floyd sequence? I just need the sequence.

I hate to be asking without anything to give back, but would any of you guys be willing to share a few of your sequences for new years? Let me know.

Thanks so much and Happy New Year!

Jackson

I am amazed George how much time you must have to do all those 60 plus sequences. I wish I had the time and money to increase that much as you did this year. must be retired.

Lightzilla,

I'm sorry I haven't answered your question here, but I just saw it tonight. No, at this time I'm not into sharing sequences. I've posted my reasons a couple other places so I won't go into it again here. But I'm flattered you asked.

Friski,

Sharon turns in early since she gets up before 5 AM and I'm a night person. That combination gives me plenty of time to spend sequencing. For me, this has become pretty much a full time hobby and most of the year I spend 30+ hours per week on it. Not retired yet, though, and I wish I had a pilot's income so I could REALLY make a splash! :)

George you already make one heck of a splash. I wish I had half the lights that you do. Your right it is a full time hobby. My first year was a hit for our area. Pilot pay back in the days was great. Now its not so hot. It will one day go back up because of a lack of pilots in the industry.

George Simmons wrote:

Lightzilla,

I'm sorry I haven't answered your question here, but I just saw it tonight. No, at this time I'm not into sharing sequences. I've posted my reasons a couple other places so I won't go into it again here. But I'm flattered you asked.

Thank you for the response George.

Have a Great New Years eve.

• 1 year later...