Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 2

Guest guest

Brad Bilger wrote

I would use it right away also.. Have heard a rumor that there will be a START button added. I can't set my shows up on timer, and will need to start them manually. (Got to work in among other performers ). I could be wrong, but as long as the old sequences will run, it won't bother me at all.

You can fake that now... just schedule your show for earlier than you'd expect it to start, but have "Enable Shows" off in the control panel. Then just enable the shows when you need it to start, and it will start within a few seconds.

To stop a running show gracefully, go into the scheduler, and set the stop time for earlier than the current time, then save the schedule. The current sequence will finish, then the show will end.

Not terribly graceful, but workable if LOR II doesn't make it out...

-Tim

Dale W wrote:

mb323 wrote
I thought about doing that, just don't like the idea of my show cutting off mid-song. That's about as graceful as a bluescreen on Windows.
That is a good point, my thinking if it is that late at night, nobody will be around to see it.

Depends on what time you shut down. Due to neighbor concerns I shut down at 9:30 weeknights and 10pm weekends, and there's often several cars around. Even when I used to run until 11pm there would be cars around...

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

Depends on what time you shut down. Due to neighbor concerns I shut down at 9:30 weeknights and 10pm weekends, and there's often several cars around. Even when I used to run until 11pm there would be cars around...

-Tim

Same here, my show is from 6pm-9pm, both the neighbors and I have small kids and flashing lights is not conducive to sleep.

tfischer wrote:

Brad Bilger wrote
I would use it right away also.. Have heard a rumor that there will be a START button added. I can't set my shows up on timer, and will need to start them manually. (Got to work in among other performers ). I could be wrong, but as long as the old sequences will run, it won't bother me at all.

You can fake that now... just schedule your show for earlier than you'd expect it to start, but have "Enable Shows" off in the control panel. Then just enable the shows when you need it to start, and it will start within a few seconds.

To stop a running show gracefully, go into the scheduler, and set the stop time for earlier than the current time, then save the schedule. The current sequence will finish, then the show will end.

Not terribly graceful, but workable if LOR II doesn't make it out...

-Tim

WOW.. trust a fellow FireFighter to come up with an easy fix

Listen guys lighten up a bit on LORII release date. How many times did Sony and XBOX puah back their release dates. And Microsoft? All the time is the answer. Personally I would rather have it come out when it is ready rather rush it.

Since Jan. of last year I have been planning and building just for LORII. That's right. My entire display was built around that start button. Picture if you will, you drive up to see the display but only a few lights are on (maybe 200 or so). There is the front yard are two beacon lights flashing. A sign says push button to start show. You push the button and all the lights that were on go out!! A voice says no not that button and then a warning siren sounds. 30" Mini trees take off down the yard for 150 feet then hit a group of 36" mini trees that come on in a wave form then go to a 4', 6' 8' mini mega trees on each side that light the mega tree. When the mega tree is fully lit an explosion is heard and instantly 200,000 lights flash off and on and then Run Run Rudolph by Lnyard Sknyard starts.

That was the plan Jan. 1, 2006.

But personally I would rather wait for LORII now.

Robin wrote:

Listen guys lighten up a bit on LORII release date. How many times did Sony and XBOX puah back their release dates. And Microsoft? All the time is the answer. Personally I would rather have it come out when it is ready rather rush it.

Since Jan. of last year I have been planning and building just for LORII. That's right. My entire display was built around that start button. Picture if you will, you drive up to see the display but only a few lights are on (maybe 200 or so). There is the front yard are two beacon lights flashing. A sign says push button to start show. You push the button and all the lights that were on go out!! A voice says no not that button and then a warning siren sounds. 30" Mini trees take off down the yard for 150 feet then hit a group of 36" mini trees that come on in a wave form then go to a 4', 6' 8' mini mega trees on each side that light the mega tree. When the mega tree is fully lit an explosion is heard and instantly 200,000 lights flash off and on and then Run Run Rudolph by Lnyard Sknyard starts.

Wow! Robin you should be a story teller. I got so excited being part of your show, I wet myself! :shock:

That show sounds incredible! :happytree:

Michael B

BTW... that massively protected button actually is a real product you can buy. It is called a "Self Destruction Buttton", and it connects to your computer via USB. Someone with a bit of coding experience would be able to make it so when the button is pressed, 'Enable Shows' is run. This hardware is not cheap, though.

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=404

Attached files 79857=4864-usb_hub_DX_03.jpg

jmccorm wrote:

BTW... that massively protected button actually is a real product you can buy. It is called a "Self Destruction Buttton", and it connects to your computer via USB. Someone with a bit of coding experience would be able to make it so when the button is pressed, 'Enable Shows' is run. This hardware is not cheap, though.

http://www.geekstuff4u.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=404

Excellent idea! You've got my programming wheels spinning. Once the LOR SDK comes out if someone wants to buy me one of these I'll write the software ;)

Robin wrote:

Ha...I can see the tire burn marks now as people take off doing 80 getting away from your show. The kids will be in the back seat waiting for the explosion....well, with 200k of lights, it'll certainly light up like an explosion!!! :laughing:

Brad Bilger wrote:

WOW.. trust a fellow FireFighter to come up with an easy fix

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not really a firefighter (although my dad was a volunteer in the small town I grew up in for many years). The pic is of my son on a fire truck at our local department's open house earlier this month. Interestingly, the station is pretty much kitty-corner across the street from our house, so we see plenty of training action.

-Tim

robogeek wrote:

By they way I don't think the button actuall sends any commands back to the PC, I think it is just a glorified USB hub.

Sad. You're right. It would take a minor bit of hardware hacking for it to send a signal back over the USB connection.

Now my daughter and I are going to do something like.....

Dad. Dad the lights are out!!!

(me) What?

(her) the lights are out and people are waiting!!!

(Then I will sound like I am pounding on the keyboard and then will say)
Opps! or Oh No!

She will say what?

(me) "I think... (then the sound effect of a warning horn and then go with the streak of lights and explosion.

Just do that at the beginning on the loop.

What do ya think?