Light-O-Rama Forums

Whole House FM Transmitter

Grawolph

Ok, I have another question for all you smart, crazy LOR people, or which I am starting to feel like one too. I purchased a Whole House Transmitter http://www.wholehousefmtransmitter.com/ at someone's suggestion, and love it.... normally. I use it all the time in my home and typically, get good reception.

However, I only get good reception to about the middle of my yard. I have the transmitter sitting in a basement window with the antenna hanging straight down. It is about 35 feet from the window to the edge of the road. On one side of the street, the reception isn't too bad, but on the other side of the street, it sucks. Has anybody used one of these before and gotten any more distance on it than that?

I read sometime last year about making a 1-meter loop out of wire and attaching it to the antenna of this, but can't find the link anymore, nor anything supporting that. I have also read about some of the other transmitters that people are using and have in mind to purchase one for next year, so what I'm looking for is a temporary, cheap, alternative for this year to make this one work.

Grawolph,

I can't speak on the Whole House because it appeared to limited in station frequency selection, so I opted for the Crane transmitter and after a frustrating week of needing to place it almost in the street to get a strong enough signal, I put it back in the box and purchased the Mobile Black Box V6000. I purchased an optional antenna thinking I would need it based off of my Crane experience and ended up putting the stock antenna back on it and setting it at it lowest level because it delivers a reliable signal 150' down both directions of my street.

http://www.mobileblackbox.com

Delivery was quick (I did pay for two-day) and it is worth twice what it sells for as compared to the Crane.

I know you are looking to get by with the W.H.T., but encourage you to consider replacement for next year and save yourself the frustration!

Good luck...

Mike

My range is about 500 feet with the unit above my 3rd floor attic window that faces the street. I use the outlet power supply and the line out of my computer's sound card.

Check the frequencies around the chosen frequency. I've selected 107.9 but the radios I tested sound better on 107.7. I learned that after I had already made the sign!

if you are sure the transmitter is off and not the receiving radios, you could transmit on 108 to see if 107.9 sounds better.

I am a newbee but had asked the same question not to long ago and with the responses I received, I was able to get great results. I am certain that I am transmitting out to about 1,000 feet with great reception from various streets around my home.

I took a set of unsuable mini lights and cut out a section of the wire that does not contain any lights (about 15') and stripped about an inch of the coating from the wire as well as removing about an inch from the transmitter wire. Then after twisting the two together I extended the wire out/above the garage door and connected it to the siding on my house. I made sure that none of the antenna wire touched any metal (no sure if it makes a difference or not) and the sound is very clear.

My problem is that I had to leave for a construction job the day after the lights were turned on but I will be back home this weekend to enjoy it all for the fisrt time:)

Hope my information helps.

Thanks all for the info. I like the looks of the MobileBlackBox.com transmitter, but not the EM6000. The Eclipse-4000 says it broadcasts up to 1600ft (500m). It's only slightly more than the EM6000. I probably going to try and add a loop to it like David says just to get through the rest of the season.

I've definitely have a new FM transmitter on my birthday wish list!

Get the E4000 as it also is Stereo capable, the 6000 is mono. I have the whole house now, my second year. It passes but it's an upgrade next year to the MBB.

I think it says right in the instructions though to NOT put it in the basement?

Mine is in a first floor room and I have the wire outside. It's good for 600' on average but some radios pick it up farther out. Also if you are using the little reeled patch cord that came with it, loose that and get a solid one from Radio Shack or Walmart. That made more difference than anything else I did, especially to quiet the hiss or static.

Lenny