Light-O-Rama Forums

Z-Wave

Tim.Barr

I have Leviton Vizia RF+ Z-Wave switches and an HAI home automation controller. All my exterior lighting will be controllable once I get everything installed. The HAI controller (or other Z-wave controllers) can turn an outlet/light On or Off and set a particular level (if I use the dimmable version of the switch).

Does anyone have any ideas on how this could be controlled as part of an LOR show?

Some possible ideas:

Z-wave/USB interface in same PC running LOR software?

Z-wave/RS232 interface could be connected to an LOR network somehow?

RS232 to RS232 between HAI and LOR?

Add X10 control to my HAI if LOR can "talk" to X10 somehow.

LOR Digital IO card connected to inputs of HAI (long way around the barn).

Thanks

-Tim

Thanks Jeff. So if I understand it, basically the LOR software can have events that send codes to the CM11A connected to the same computer that the LOR interface is connected to.

The one-way nature (no confirmation feedback), conflict, and reliability of the X-10 stuff certainly wouldn't be ideal - I suppose that is why everything is moving to Z-Wave, Zigbee, UPB, Insteon, etc. In fact, it looks like th CM11A is discontinued in favor of USB models that also "speak" other protocols.

So ideally, we would be looking for the LOR software to "talk" to a Leviton VRC0P-1LW RS232 adapter or one of the new Z-wave dongles (there are several USB models, including ones from Wayne Dalton and Aeon). I have thought about getting a Homeseer Z-troller (RS232) so I could use their software. (There are some useful integration charts at homeseer.com)

Maybe after the holidays....

-Tim

X-10 can be unreliable, but I use it in my show to control my transmitter, speakers, garden & porch lights. At Halloween, I used it to turn on a fog machine. I have never had a case where something failed to turn on or off when it was supposed to.

I also agree with Jeff

I am going to utilize LOR at all corners if at all possible

My x10 controls lasers that are not program timing critical

LOR equipment and support is the best I have experienced

Frank A.:)