Light-O-Rama Forums

Century Tree finally DONE

cenote

Another 6 hrs today, and I finally finished the tree 100%. Last year I had all the pole wires just wire nutted together. This year, I got around to putting molex connectors on all the poles and cords. Just snap up the poles, and plug them in. Should only take 10 minutes to erect tree totally now. Last year had tree up in about 10, but took another hr to go thrue and wire.

Attached files 182760=10399-DSCF7086_a.jpg

12 legs of 5 channels each, one color
60 c-9 bulbs for star, planes can land by it

Poles slide up threw hole, and insert pin to hold, that fast...

Starting to plan a 25' on other side of house, want to make it 2 colors, and maybe 9 sections on each pole...looking at the dio options with as many channels it will take

Attached files 182778=10402-DSCF0140.JPG

Very Smart and Very Cool!!!!! Can't wait to see some video of it in action. I wish my Tree was that quick to setup!!!

-Evan

That looks very cool, and unique! Nice job -- it will be worth the wait/effort :P

I love it when people create new decorations/new variations on old themes...

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

That looks very cool, and unique! Nice job -- it will be worth the wait/effort :)

-Tim

Same design as DrNiceGuy's tree, I just made it with the controller as part of the tree, and made up a quick connect system for top of tree.

cenote wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:
That looks very cool, and unique!  Nice job -- it will be worth the wait/effort ;)

-Tim

Same design as DrNiceGuy's tree, I just made it with the controller as part of the tree, and made up a quick connect system for top of tree.

I haven't seen his tree (at least that I remember). Still very cool, and the quick connect system is pretty neat.

cenote wrote:

Another 6 hrs today, and I finally finished the tree 100%. Last year I had all the pole wires just wire nutted together. This year, I got around to putting molex connectors on all the poles and cords. Just snap up the poles, and plug them in. Should only take 10 minutes to erect tree totally now. Last year had tree up in about 10, but took another hr to go thru and wire.

Chuck,

I love the century tree, why didn't you bring that with you to the minis ;)

Are the wires that come out of the tee, going up the inside of the conduit to each section of lights? Where did buy the molex connectors from and what series are they? I tried to find some and was totally overwhelmed by all the different series available. Do you know the maximum amount of pins that are available for that series?

Tim

Tim Herberger wrote:

Are the wires that come out of the tee, going up the inside of the conduit to each section of lights? Where did buy the molex connectors from and what series are they? I tried to find some and was totally overwhelmed by all the different series available. Do you know the maximum amount of pins that are available for that series?

Yes the wires are fed threw the conduit, I wanted a cleaner/less wire look at the ends.

Here is the Link for connectors I used: http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/2,851.html

They are .062 think, not the thinker ones. Oh darn, I don't care, they are plenty good for .3 amps for a couple of seconds.

They have a pretty good selection, fast shipping. I think they go up to 12 pin. I used 6 for tree poles, and 9 for arches, doubling up the neutrals on them. BE CAREFUL when you order, I made the mistake of only ordering one side the first time, I thought they both came in a box, I was wrong.

Little confusing the first time I used them, because the female pins go in the male plugs, and vise verse...

cenote I like your mega tree layout

all my tree is 2- 5 foot pvc pipes attached together attached to a home made 5 way connecter (3 way connected to a 4 way) connected to 4- 5 foot sections for legs and it looks like the leaning tower pisa although it stands lately

for next year I am trying to look for a more stable tree plan

Jeff Millard wrote:

cenote wrote:

I did in about 10 connectors over time due to this issue. It's very difficult to remove a pin that's been inserted in the wrong connector.

Jeff

Does anybody know if they making a crimping tool for these pins? Was going crazy using needle noses

Jeff Millard wrote:

Yes they do. For the connectors I use, the crimper was $350+. I'll stick with the needlenose. I found a nice set at Sears that really worked good. I broke them along the way... but they replaced them right off the shelf. Can't beat that with a stick!

Jeff
OK, now I am hijacking my own thread...Does any of these Dies seem like they would work?

http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/2,952.html

Not sure what I would be looking for. I own the good set of crimping handles.

Looks like the same Molex connectors used in old video arcade games(my other hobby). If so, here's the crimper I use...
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/21-3005&CAWELAID=220239890

And I agree needle nose pliers stink for this especially when you are doing more than a couple crimps.