Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Arch test

Steven

I built an arch out of 49 feet of PVC conduit and tested it last night. Here's the video:

I got the idea of a mega arch from thebaronn. He suggested I used 1.5" pipe, which I did.

It's actually light enough that I can pick up the entire arch (after it's folded into 5 10' sections) and carry it into the back shed.

Assume Steven,

Thats about all I could say as I watch this huge arch do its thing. I would like to add a few other questions. How many lights per section? I didnt count but think that was 8 sections. So, that would make each section about 6'. How did you do the sections that crossed a joint?

One thing I have noticed is that I am so afraid of carrying my arches from the middle. Worried I am going to bust off the lens of my M5 lamps/LED.

Very disappointed in you steven...Would think you would of constructed at least a 51 foot arch, 49 , ha...

Seriously, awesome...Love the people who were walking the dog in front, like to say, "no big deal, this guy does this all the time"

Steven wrote:

I built an arch out of 49 feet of PVC conduit and tested it last night. Here's the video:

thebaronn. He suggested I used 1.5" pipe, which I did.

It's actually light enough that I can pick up the entire arch (after it's folded into 5 10' sections) and carry it into the back shed.

Nice job Steven...

Couple of questions. You mention "folding it". How do you accomplish that? How do you support the arch, and how do you anchor the ends? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

Couple of questions. You mention "folding it". How do you accomplish that? How do you support the arch, and how do you anchor the ends? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Very well, here are some details:

This is gray conduit, with ends that fit into the next piece. Unlike the normal procedure used for smaller arches, the LEDs are not wrapped around the PVC, but instead the string is folded back and forth about 5 times and wire-tied. This means that I'm not "wasting" LEDs by having them shine to the rear of the arch.

Attached files 181698=10351-IMG_1937.JPG

The arch is "folded" by leaving enough slack around the segments where two pieces of conduit meet. Since it's made of 5 segments of conduit, there are 4 places where they join.

The arch is divided into 9 segments. Each segment is a channel. 4 of the segments span joints, and 5 do not. I have found that if I fold the string every 17 bulbs, it will stretch tight for 5 of the segments. The other 4 segments I folded the string every 20 bulbs, to give it enough slack so I can slide the conduit apart.

Attached files 181700=10352-IMG_1940.JPG

ItsMeBobO wrote:

How is it going to be supported?

I have some steel rods typically used for concrete work that I drive into the ground at each end. The conduit fits over the top of the rods.

It is guyed to the roof, the van, and to the tree with nylon twine. For this test, I only had two guy lines, and the wind blew it onto the garage roof today. There was no damage. When I put it up next month, I'm going to use about 6 guy lines.

Attached files 181701=10353-IMG_1942.JPG

Steven wrote:

Sweet! Im glad to here thet the 1.5" worked. It is nice how the conduit basically supports itself!

I know that you have a bunch of neighbors in on the lights, did you get the okay from the city yet to span across the road?? HA!

• 2 months later...

Steven wrote:

Do you have a picture of how you zip tied them on? That sounds like a better way to do it! and easyer to change the strings of lights if you ever need too as well!

• 9 months later...

Steven,
My only concern for you is that you used the white wire ties. After one or two seasons they might break down and bust on you. These are not UV stabilized, well at least they have not in the past.

Hey Steven,

This looks really neat. Do you still have it up or did you take it down? If it is still up, I wouldn't mind coming over to see it since we live so close to each other. If not then we should still get together some time and talk about our displays and what not.

Ryan

Well shoot!

Came back to see what other comments were made. And so I just re-read my comment and it appears that I didn't remember to say that I like this arch of yours Steven.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. And yes your mind will go to waste one day. Just sooner than later for some of us so it appears to be that I am in the sooner group.:D

ryebred wrote:

Do you still have it up or did you take it down? If it is still up, I wouldn't mind coming over to see it since we live so close to each other.
It came down in January, after its first season. But it would still informative to see it in storage. I'll be setting up for Halloween next week, so that would be a good time you you to stop by. Send me an email and we'll find a good time.

Max-Paul wrote:
And so I just re-read my comment and it appears that I didn't remember to say that I like this arch of yours Steven.
Thank you very much. I'll see what happens to the wire ties this year.

Steven wrote:

ryebred wrote:
Do you still have it up or did you take it down? If it is still up, I wouldn't mind coming over to see it since we live so close to each other.
It came down in January, after its first season. But it would still informative to see it in storage. I'll be setting up for Halloween next week, so that would be a good time you you to stop by. Send me an email and we'll find a good time.

LOL. I didn't notice that this was originally posted last year. I saw October 5th so I assumed it was a few days ago. I will send you an email about getting together.