Light-O-Rama Forums

Decreaseing Time Lag...

Roger Leon Forbes

How do you decrease the time between the sequence ends and your voice over voice plays? If in the show editor you have it set to zero seconds between sequences then check each audio file for "dead air" and remove.

Chuck

Thanks for the info, I was cutting my dead time from my voice overs when I got your answer, did not know about the 0 time, giveing that a try now. Thanks again.

Also, the first time a sequence plays in a show, there will normally be a longer delay than in subsequent replays in the show. It appears to have to do with loading the sequence into memory, and any other prep work that gets done the first time. The current version appears to be much faster at it than what we used last year.

Also, be sure to check your sequences for any extra time at the end of the song and shorten the sequence to trim that extra time off.

• 3 months later...

I want to have a voice over, thats plays over and over repeating its self, like a station id type thing. I don't want any lights on. I have about 10-15 mins of down time that I want to put some in that says when shows are and more. Can this be done without interfering with my Musical Seq.'s. I would prefer the easyest way.

Ray

I think the easiest way would be to record the announcements you want and then use Audacity (or another recording/editing program) to copy/paste those consecutively until you've reached the length you want. Then, create a musical sequence using that elongated audio file without turning any lights on and insert it into your show.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

How do you shorten a song at the beging and end so I don't have as much silence?

You would need to use a program like Audacity (Free software) and highlight then delete the dead space from the audio.

On what George said about recording the announcements several times...couldn't he just do it once, then Loop it in the sequence as many times as needed to cover the 10 -15 minutes?

jimswinder wrote:

You would need to use a program like Audacity (Free software) and highlight then delete the dead space from the audio.

So theres no way to do it in the LOR software? I hate to screw up my timings.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

How do you shorten a song at the beging and end so I don't have as much silence?

If you're referring to the time lag between sequences/announcements during the first run-through of your show there isn't anything you can do about that with the possible exception of making sure your PC isn't doing anything else during that time. At this point we're all held hostage to however long it takes the sequence to load into whatever cache LOR uses to store things during the first run-through. Supposedly, that's something LOR will be working on after show season. If your show loops, after the first run-through the lag time drops to 1 or 2 seconds between sequences.

If you want to chop time off the sequence itself, LOR allows you to shorten the sequence on the back end. But if you want to shorten any silence in the beginning of the sequence the only way to do it is to edit the media file itself and then skew the track(s) in the sequence editor to realign the music and lights.

George Simmons wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

If you're referring to the time lag between sequences/announcements during the first run-through of your show there isn't anything you can do about that with the possible exception of making sure your PC isn't doing anything else during that time. At this point we're all held hostage to however long it takes the sequence to load into whatever cache LOR uses to store things during the first run-through. Supposedly, that's something LOR will be working on after show season. If your show loops, after the first run-through the lag time drops to 1 or 2 seconds between sequences.

If you want to chop time off the sequence itself, LOR allows you to shorten the sequence on the back end. But if you want to shorten any silence in the beginning of the sequence the only way to do it is to edit the media file itself and then skew the track(s) in the sequence editor to realign the music and lights.

I know how to shorten a sequence, just have it end were I want. But it will keep playing the silence at the end of the song with the lights off. How do you shorten the music at the end

you have to physically shorten the audio track...take the silence out of it...using a third party software, like Audacity.

Send me the audio and I will do it for you.
jimswinder@hotmail.com

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I know how to shorten a sequence, just have it end were I want. But it will keep playing the silence at the end of the song with the lights off. How do you shorten the music at the end

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. If you use the Edit Change total time to shorten a sequence, say from 2:30 down to 2:15 then that's where the sequence will end and stop.

George Simmons wrote:

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. If you use the Edit Change total time to shorten a sequence, say from 2:30 down to 2:15 then that's where the sequence will end and stop.

See, Thats what I think I wanted to know! So if the song is 2:30 long when I import the file, if I go to change total time, and change it to 2:15 it will end then! What happens the the last :15 of music/silence? It just goes away?

Yes, if you have a total sequence length that is shorter than the audio, LOR tells windows media player to stop playing when it gets to the length of the sequence. Last year, there appeared to be a tiny bit of variation in exactly when it happened. Maybe a fraction of a beat on a fast song. So it is probably a good idea to have it end in a place where it is already fading out, or silent.