Light-O-Rama Forums

Hooking up my n eibors

Eddie Hanebuth

My neighbors would like to connect their houses to mine next year. I tested the wireless (easy linker) and the distance between my house and the house that is the farthest away....is just too far. Can I hook houses up between mine and his using "links" and will this "daisy chain" from one house to the next? Has anyone done this? Help I only have 11 months left to pull this off!!!! LOL

I have not had any issues, but the distance between me and the neighbor is only about fifty feet. I seem to recall someone around here was controlling a neighbor's display ten houses up the street and had to put the tx/rx up in the trees to get a reliable signal.

Brian

Thanks... I looked at the support page but I was hoping that I could use more than one wireless connection to get past driveways... Rather than having to run cable over driveways between the houses....

Have you seen or heard this being done?

:cool:

Thanks... I looked at the support page but I was hoping that I could use more than one wireless connection to get past driveways... Rather than having to run cable over driveways between the houses....

Have you seen or heard this being done?

I was looking at everything, and you should be able to transmit to another transmitter within 500 ft. Although if the signal must travel through walls that is when the distance will decrease.

My plan is to test this out in July I need to purchase several more controllers and a few linkers. It looks like I will have to run cable between the last three houses. Thanks for all you help. document.write('cool.gif');cool.gif

• 9 months later...

It would be nice if you could use the remote LOR Units as repeaters but, I don't think LOR Works that way. I guess you could try getting the first ELL as high as possible and then go from there.

I seem to remember there was a guy either here or PC that had 14 houses on a Cul-de-sac this year maybe see if you can find him and ask him if he has any issues.

I control my neighbors house across the street but the distance is less than 100 feet through trees and shrubs.

I had 14 ELLs setup at a Commercial setup with no problems but, one thing I do remember is the higher we got the main Antenna the better coverage we had over the whole park!

-Evan

Well that right there is a classic case of RTFM... I do apologize!
That's great information...

muah ha ha ha now to rope in my neighbors... :)

-Evan

• 1 year later...

evan.a wrote:

really cool, hope you post some videos

It's hard to capture a multi-house display on a video. (Unless you use an IMAX camera :P ). It's even more difficult when the houses are on opposite sides of the street (like my neighbor's and ours).

One member over on DLA recently reported using an IP based USB software product (cost $149) which then allowed a neighbor to hook in another USB interface ... and it then showed up on the show computer (as a second USB interface) and could control it from the same software. Its a long shot, but another option possibly.

I'd also say if your on good terms with the neighbors in-between ... that running a long cat5 is another option and the cheapest/easiest.

I agree that multi-home displays are very hard to capture on video ... and when you do, it doesn't do them justice. Look at my avatar, its only showing my house. Even on the static pics, very hard to show both at the same time.

I've been trying to get a neighbor or two to join me for the last few years. I can't get anyone who wants to spend the money, either on lights or controllers, even if I do the setup and sequencing. And one of these neighbors is my sister and her husband. Some people just don't get it, do they?

That is also on my plans this year my neighbor across the street wants theirs hooked up so I have to get an 8 channel controller and one easy light linker but I might just buy another set and end up with a spare ell in case if one of mine croaks

Steven wrote:

evan.a wrote:
really cool, hope you post some videos

It's hard to capture a multi-house display on a video. (Unless you use an IMAX camera :( ).  It's even more difficult when the houses are on opposite sides of the street (like my neighbor's and ours).

knew I'ld find it. here,s a 2009 video of jim hern connecting 21 house's.