Light-O-Rama Forums

YouTube blocking videos

bauera2

I have been trying to upload my videos to you tube and keep getting e-mails that the copyright owners of the audio file have blocked my video. I dispute the claim stating that it is not for profit and only for a Christmas display but this is getting really annoying. Anyone else having this issue?

I know Manheim Steamroller blocks the Youtube vids. I don't think TSO blocks any.

I forgot to mention, use vimeo instead of youtube.

bauera2 wrote:

Faries by Mannheim Steamroller UMG Records
Sleigh Ride by Boston pops UMG records
Carol of Bells by TSO
Christmas Eve Sarajevo by TSO

bauera2 wrote:

Carol of Bells by TSO

FWIW, I had my 2007 Christmas Lights video of COTB, using music by the TSO, pulled today by Savatage from YouTube.

Cheers,

davidt, Australia

bauera2 wrote:

I have been trying to upload my videos to you tube and keep getting e-mails that the copyright owners of the audio file have blocked my video. I dispute the claim stating that it is not for profit and only for a Christmas display but this is getting really annoying. Anyone else having this issue?

This has been a real big issue as of late. In fact, there was a member at PC that had his Youtube account revoked.

You cannot dispute the claim for several reasons. First, you are not the copyright owner or have permission from the copyright owner. Second, even though you personally are not making a profit, Youtube is a for profit venture. So the copyright's claim is against Youtube, not you. Third, it is very easy to steal the audio from Youtube. Again, Youtube has to worry about providing protected content to the masses.

It flat out sucks. I think what you are seeing is that some music companies are coming together to form a new 'youtube'. So in preperation for that, doing what they can to limit what is played in youtube.

iresq wrote:

Third, it is very easy to steal the audio from Youtube. Again, Youtube has to worry about providing protected content to the masses.

LOL most would just get it from limewire, torrent files ect. By far much easier then trying to rip from youtube.

Then a question I have is for the LOR contest you have to put your video on YOUTUBE and state that you are using LOR to run the show. If youtube isn't allowing them then how do you get in the ramdom contest that you can put all of your videos in. I have 12 songs all together to try to put up.

Lenny

I had one of my videos pulled from YouTube. It was a Manheim Steamroller one. My workaround is that I have not been listing the artist on the YouTube videos. Most of the copywright holders are simply doing a search for all the peices that include either their names or their clients names. It would be onerous to search every video submitted. It's sad really, I really want to give credit where credit is due so that any viewer who liked the music could buy it.

With the way YouTube is now going we will have to do something different next year However I would guess that if you do not mention anything about the song or that there is a song then you may sneak it in.

I did not post any artist information. In there e-mail it said the filter recognized the audio content, so i am assuming they compare audio files, just like voice recognition software.

Maybe we could use the Vimeo.com site for random drawing next year it doesn't appear to have that problem and works well from what i have seen with other LOR users posts.

Go figure - I haven't had any videos blocked by YouTube (yet, anyway) but I didn't include any tags at all. I did list the song title in every video, though. I've been meaning to add tags so I qualify for the drawing. So here's what I'm gonna do as a test: I'm gonna do it one video at a time. First I'll include the LOR tag. If that doesn't get any bounced I'll try one sacrificial tune by listing the artist in the tag and see if that's what gets it noticed. I'll keep people posted in this thread. I'll start adding tags tonight after the show concludes.

I uploaded mine and then disputed saying it was nonprofit and it was allowed. I totally agree thogh, next year if youtube is still doing that for sure a different host should be used.

jstein wrote:

I uploaded mine and then disputed saying it was nonprofit and it was allowed. I totally agree thogh, next year if youtube is still doing that for sure a different host should be used.

It does not matter that it's not for profit. Uploading to limewire and bit torrents are not for profit and are illegal. Under today's rules, any sharing of copyrighted material is illegal.

i don't have any uploaded yet but was hoping to put up a couple so i could have friends and my folks down in Florida see what they looked like. its to bad because like someone said its like advertising it may be the first time they ever heard that song and get people interested in some of these musicians, I can't realy speak for TSO but I'm sure it probably helps sell there cd's a lot of our songs have been shortened or changes any how so not worth copying oh well guess will see what happens