Light-O-Rama Forums

c9 or smaller lights with LOR

Guest guest

Hi all,
I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my first 16 channel box. As I am planning my lights I was hoping to hear and pro/cons on C9's versus the basic smaller light strands with sequences. Thanks for any feedback.

flanman

C9's will suck the power right out of you.

Some like them, some don't. There is no reason why you should or should not use them, though, with LOR. (As in there is no technical reason they will/won't work.)

Here is a follow-up question from a newbie....and I mean a real newbie...how can I find out the difference between C9, C7, etc. etc.......I have little twinkly lights and that is all I know....;)

C9 lights are bigger than C7 lights. When you put them side by side you will know for sure. Best way is go to a department store and look at them in a box or replacement bulbs on a rack. For a further reference nitelights are C7 bulbs.

The tiny lights that typically come 50 or 100 to a strand are usually referred to here as 'mini lights.' C-9's are the larger bulbs that were the staple 20 or more years ago. They are about 1 1/2 inches tall. C-7's are a bit smaller, about 1 inch tall.

There are places in my display that really need the larger bulbs. Until last year I always used C-9's in these areas but hated how much power they sucked up. Last year I changed to C-7's and even found the lower 5 Watt version at Action Lighting. I still use about 200 C-7's. They line my sidewalk and the roof eaves. They are set up on three channels of LOR to allow a chasing pattern. Mini's just wouldn't have the same effect.

Well, I use both. This year i wnetout on a limb and did a ground grid in nothing but c9's one reason I did this was because I found transparent red and green c9sets for 25 cents a box at hobby lobby after Christmas. Downside is they DO suck alot of juice,BUT all that juice makes it BRIGHTER. The grid came out awesome, and I can't wait to get video of itforthe Lights Up video.