Light-O-Rama Forums

Configuring Pixie2

MattMac

I decided to purchase a couple Pixie2 controllers this year to add some more fun to my display, not realizing that I really should have started learning this in January, not September.  Time to cram!  

I have two  questions:

1) I've configured the controller in the HU per instructions in the manual and what I found here in the forums.  I set the Unit ID to 3, as I already have two 16 channel controllers assigned to units 1 & 2.  I have 2 strings of 50 pixels connected to one port.  When I test the port, all the pixels turn on to the color I select just fine.  But when I open the pixel console, that's where things get weird - it will only allow me to control up to 50 pixels.  The second string of pixels does nothing.  If I click the button "CCD Extended Circuit IDs," then things start happening, but the color order is incorrect (GBR instead of RGB), plus there are random pixels that light up.  What do I need to fix, or is the Pixel Console not a good reference on whether my controller was setup correct?

2) When creating a preview for the pixels, I select "Unit 3" for my first port.  But that will only control the first port and first 100 pixels.  What should I do for the pixels connected to the second port?  Is that Unit 4?  Or am I missing something...  

Thanks for the help!

-Matt

2 hours ago, MattMac said:

I decided to purchase a couple Pixie2 controllers this year to add some more fun to my display, not realizing that I really should have started learning this in January, not September.  Time to cram!  

I have two  questions:

1) I've configured the controller in the HU per instructions in the manual and what I found here in the forums.  I set the Unit ID to 3, as I already have two 16 channel controllers assigned to units 1 & 2.  I have 2 strings of 50 pixels connected to one port.  When I test the port, all the pixels turn on to the color I select just fine.  But when I open the pixel console, that's where things get weird - it will only allow me to control up to 50 pixels.  The second string of pixels does nothing.  If I click the button "CCD Extended Circuit IDs," then things start happening, but the color order is incorrect (GBR instead of RGB), plus there are random pixels that light up.  What do I need to fix, or is the Pixel Console not a good reference on whether my controller was setup correct?

2) When creating a preview for the pixels, I select "Unit 3" for my first port.  But that will only control the first port and first 100 pixels.  What should I do for the pixels connected to the second port?  Is that Unit 4?  Or am I missing something...  

Thanks for the help!

-Matt

Each port is a Unit number. YOU set port 1 ID.the remaining inherit from the base ID (no gaps), so a

Pixie2 is ID +1

Pixie4 is ID +1,+2,+3

Pixie8 is ID +1,+2,+3,+4,+5,+6,+7

Pixie16 is ID +1,+2,+3,+4,+5,+6,+7,+8,+9,+A,+B,+C,+D,+E,+F

Notice I used HEX. I learned Hex (and Octal) a long time ago. Thus I prefer to set my (pixie) ID's  ending in x0 (having a Pixie16 change a MSB for some ports just seemed weird to me). With a Pro License, you can leave gaps for additional devices. I use 01-1F for dumb devices. 20, 27, 30  for my Pixies. (By leaving a gap, it was easy-peasy to swap in a Pixie 8 in place of a Pixie4 when I found I needed another port 🙄 at that controller location. )

11 hours ago, MattMac said:

I have two  questions:

Thanks for the help!

-Matt

This will be your best friend. Dont over complicate it.