Light-O-Rama Forums

Created a prop build of a 6 foot tall (dumb rgb) singing angel for backup vocal for the display using a cmb24 and dumb nodes.

GriswoldStyle

So I finally got into the spirit this year and spent the last 2 days finishing up the newest addition of a 6 foot tall singing angel.  

The angel is coroplast cut with a jigsaw and place onto a pressure treated plywood backing with a 2" overlap or coro all the way around and a circle cut out of the angel face for the nodes to fit easier. Leaving just shy of 2" of plywood around the face for support. Luckily I did not have to draw it on the coroplast. I tweaked it on the computer and cut two halve of a 23" wide decal since I am in the decal business it made it much easier to trace the outline and face movements. Although I screwed up a bit on the drilling of the face but I can always replace the head with a new peace of coroplast and correct it later.. I used a step drill bit but was using a free hand drill .

Here are the end results. It was fun to build although hot and humid here in the nature coast of florida.

ANGEL 1ANGEL 5

ANGEL 6

ANGEL 3

ANGEL 7

ANGEL 9

ANGEL 8

ANGEL 10

Edited by GriswoldStyle
Missing linked images
  • Like 1

Nice.  Looks like you based that on the LOR Singing Trees mouth pattern of 4 mouth movements?   Wish I could build stuff like that, I've tried and I always failed miserably in trying to build my own stuff. 

That's why I always try to buy stuff like the LOR Singing Trees pre-made, just easier for me that way.  Unfortunately if you can find pre-made stuff, it's usually too cost prohibitive for me, being on a fixed income really doesn't help when you want to add new things to a display.

If my late father was still alive, he could do all kinds of stuff like this, it always seemed to come so easy for him,, me, I have all thumbs, can't cut a straight line no matter how I try or what items I use to help in doing so, I still manage to get a slanted cut.

But your Angel does look great.  Even with the hiccup you say you made in making it, still looks a lot better than anything I've ever attmpted to make.

BTW: if you think it's hot outside in Florida, try living in a manufactured home{glorified trailer} that has no working Air Conditioning in it in Florida.  I am, and at times the thermometer has reached temperatures of 130-145 degrees inside this blasted hot box, and that with the windows open!  Have fans, but they really don't do much good in the Florida heat.  I'll be very happy when the cold sets in here in Florida and the temps are between 65-72 degrees.  But that's still a bit off yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orville said:

Nice.  Looks like you based that on the LOR Singing Trees mouth pattern of 4 mouth movements?   Wish I could build stuff like that, I've tried and I always failed miserably in trying to build my own stuff. 

Yeah I went with the trees for movements since that was the only drawing I could find online. Much easier that way. My free handed skills on a computer are great but not so much in real life lol. I like building stuff when it is cooler outside. This heat is the pits. But it is part of living in paradise. I cant complain, I am up in Citrus county. Less traffic than Orlando and no where near as humid as key west is in June-August. My younger years I loved it but I was blessed with my families pass alongs of sweating really bad when it took effect in my late 30's

Have been there and done that with the mobile home in Florida.. I learned real quick 3 window units not being energy efficient took that electric bill to over 500 a month. Never again. I moved 4 months into my lease and never looked back.  At that time is was way cheaper to rent a weekly efficiency for $135 a week with all utilities included. Then again that was 15 years ago after a divorce before I found my soul mate so I feel for you in todays age. Summer heat here is crazy and my family has been heavy sweaters for 3 generations. I dont go anywhere during summer without two hand towels lol.  

On 9/16/2020 at 3:42 PM, GriswoldStyle said:

Yeah I went with the trees for movements since that was the only drawing I could find online. Much easier that way. My free handed skills on a computer are great but not so much in real life lol. I like building stuff when it is cooler outside. This heat is the pits. But it is part of living in paradise. I cant complain, I am up in Citrus county. Less traffic than Orlando and no where near as humid as key west is in June-August. My younger years I loved it but I was blessed with my families pass alongs of sweating really bad when it took effect in my late 30's

Have been there and done that with the mobile home in Florida.. I learned real quick 3 window units not being energy efficient took that electric bill to over 500 a month. Never again. I moved 4 months into my lease and never looked back.  At that time is was way cheaper to rent a weekly efficiency for $135 a week with all utilities included. Then again that was 15 years ago after a divorce before I found my soul mate so I feel for you in todays age. Summer heat here is crazy and my family has been heavy sweaters for 3 generations. I dont go anywhere during summer without two hand towels lol.  

Know the feeling.  My Central AC unit I think would be an easy fix, I'm pretty sure it's one of two components that gas failed, either a relay or a capacitor, which if I didn't live in Florida I could purchase and possibly even replace myself, since it wouldn't be that difficult for me to do having worked with electricity and electronics pretty much all my life.   But Florida requires you to have an HVAC license, then you have to get a permit o do the work on the AC unit.  Other states any homeowner could do it, but Florida has to be a pain in the backside to get the simplest of repairs done.   AC repair company would charge somewhere from $3500-$5000.00 to fix it, yet if I could buy the components and do it myself, it'd cost me around $60-$75.00 or less.   I have a window unit, and it was an energy efficient unit I got for free, but it didn't last more than about 2 months before the compressor went out on it.  I have a very small window unit, but it only kicks on and puts out cold air once every 15-20 minutes, so it doesn't work very well at all.  Not even worth running it.

What I want to get {if we ever get lucky enough to get another stimulus check} is a couple of portable indoor units with heat for the winter when needed.  Found a decent one, but just no funds to buy 2 of them for the trailer at present.

Ah well, such is life in Florida at times.

And back to the topic, that Angel really does look great.  I'd be very happy if I could pull something off as good as that.  But like said, I've tried and I can't even cut a straight line, not even with a jig!  When it comes to cutting anything to the correct size to fit, count me out on that one.  I'll always be off by some margin! LOL