Light-O-Rama Forums

FM TRANSMITTER

Guest guest

Guest guest

I am trying to figure out what FM Transmitter I should get. I Want one that is inexpensive, and broadcast a long distance.

Also is there any rules that you have to follow according to the FCC while using an FM Transmitter.

Any help will be great

Thanks

PLEASE ANSWER THE POLL

Guest guest

Don't go cheap is my advice. If you w2ant long range, by a good one and it will last for ever. Get the Ramsey fm25b. Costs about 200 but well worth it.

Zac

Guest guest

I wasn't going to get into this, but based on the new thread, I feel all should at least be aware that Ramsey recently got nailed again by the FCC, for selling their FM100B, and a couple of FM RF amps. The units in question can output up to 1 watt.

The FM 25B is not a problem.

This time, I suspect the fines will not be waived. Last time they were, when John Ramsey was discharged from his company by his board.

I have talked with the folks at Ramsey, and suspect you will see some changes to their catalog offerings on the FM transmitter and amplifier side of things in the not too distant future, once the legal challenges have been decided.

Greg

Guest guest

Following is an article about the issue with Ramsey that Greg talked about. I noticed one change on their website already. Previously they sold a kit to upgrade the domestic FM100B to 1 Watt output. That kit is no longer found. However their "export" model, the FM100BWT, still shows as being available. This is just a good reminder to keep things within the legal limits.

Ramsey Electronics Fined $25,000 on Equipment Marketing
The FCC fined Ramsey Electronics $25,000 for marketing two models of unauthorized FM broadcast transmitters, and two models of external RF power amplifiers.

Following up on a complaint, the FCC's Enforcement Bureau says it investigated Ramsey's marketing activities and equipment catalog and found Ramsey selling two unauthorized models of assembled FM transmitters, the "FM35WT" and "FM100BWT," and RF amplifiers designated as "PA100" and "LPA1WT."

The FM35WT FM transmitter outputs 1 watt of power and FM100BWT power output varies between 5 µW and one watt. The RF amplifier PA100 varies between two and 40 watts of power output while the LPA1WT outputs one watt of power. The first three devices operate in the FM band while the LPA1WT operates in the 300 kHz to 1,000 MHz range.

Ramsey told the FCC it doesn't need equipment certification for the FM35WT and FM100BWT because Ramsey requires U.S. buyers to sign statements saying those devices will be exported, and that certification doesn't apply to the PA100 and LPA1WT because those devices are not intentional radiators.

The FCC rejected Ramsey's arguments; it said in its decision the company doesn't export all the transmitters sold and that the amplifiers are intentional radiators and need to be certified.

The commission fined Ramsey $7,000 for each of the four models, then knocked off $3,000 for past good compliance for a total of $25,000. Ramsey had 30 days to pay, or seek a reduction or cancellation. The supplier must also submit a report within that time describing what steps it has taken to come into compliance.

A call to Ramsey for comment was not returned.

Guest guest

If you really want a cheap transmitter, you could consider the Belkin Tunecast 2. You can get them on ebay for less than 20 bucks, and you can follow the tutorial on Logan's Site . He says it works really well...talk to him.
my 2 cents

Luke K.

Guest guest

I just bought the Ramsey fm25b through their Amazon storefront (cheaper shipping charges). It was my first electronic kit I've ever done and it worked fine the first time I tried it after I assembled it (instructions are great!). If you don't want to build it yourself, check out ebay. There are people there who sell them assembled.

Guest guest

I have the FM25B and I think I paid $139.00 on ebay, already assembled, last year. Works great. I used it for my lights, and we also used it to broadcast music during a 4th of July fireworks show that my brother and I do at a lake in Hot Springs. It transmits far enough that we can have a radio in the park across from the point we shoot, and they can hear just fine over the fireworks.

Guest guest

just wanted to add my little note

be aware, ramsey kits come unassembled!!!!!

i realize it says that on the site but i heard a couple people complain that when they got it it was in a thousand pieces. if your not comfy with building electronics and do not know what a soldering gun is then find one all ready assembled.

if you are Handy then the ramsey kit is a very enjoyable experience and my fm30 works awesome. service dept also outstanding, my kit was missing 2 parts. they were at my doorstep within 2 days:waycool:

If you really want a cheap transmitter, you could consider the Belkin Tunecast 2. You can get them on ebay for less than 20 bucks, and you can follow the tutorial on Logan's Site . He says it works really well...talk to him.
Question: Has anybody had any experience with these transmitters? How good are they?

Richard III wrote:

I am trying to figure out what FM Transmitter I should get. I Want one that is inexpensive, and broadcast a long distance.

Also is there any rules that you have to follow according to the FCC while using an FM Transmitter.

Just always stay far away from 1 watt. These will easily reach out 1 to 2 miles. I think the Ramsey 25b is 10 milliwatts. An FCC certified FM transmitter is only a fraction of 1 milliwatt.

The typical display only needs 200' Most people don't think about it...most visitors don't know to tune in until they get close enough to read a sign. Go measure 200' feet. At 300' people are wating to get close enough to see.

Richard III wrote:

You aren't supposed to transmit over 200 feet. See the links that others provided.

TED

Zac_Cutt wrote:

Don't go cheap is my advice. If you w2ant long range, by a good one and it will last for ever. Get the Ramsey fm25b. Costs about 200 but well worth it.

It does not cost nearly that much. It is $139.95 on the Ramsey site (www.ramseyelectronics.com). They frequently have sales.

TED

Darryl... I have the 1 watt version and I keep it turned down less than 1/4 watt. On 1/2 watt, it goes 2 miles easily. The antenna is a regular 1/4 wave tuned to my frequency.

I'm located in a great location for any RF to go for miles. I can get 2 television station markets in digital. In analog, I can get anything within 100 miles easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I ordered the LOR kits on Save10, I decided to order the FM25B kit from Hobbytron to work on while waiting for the LOR kits. I haven't put a kit together in about 30 years, but I put the 25B together today and it works great. I haven't gone outside to see the range, but did use it in the house with the telescoping antenna. It's crystal clear from one end of the house to the other, 70+ feet. I was using a new soldering station for the first time and was having some problems initially, but I turned the heat up and everything went smoothly. I think the temperature marks are probably off on the soldering station. Had to "borrow" a magnifier lamp from my wife's sewing room, but it made the job so much easier. Now, just waiting for the LOR kits with renewed confidence in assembly. I was really surprised at how clear the FM25B is; I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an FM transmitter.

Denny

I just got my FM25B from ebay, already assembled.

I would not be able to assemble that kit. I put it outside and it sounded great while I drove by in the car.

But with the rain we get over most Christmas's I bought the TM-100 antenna kit to go outside and keep the 25b safe and dry in the house .

Steve

I bought the FM25B off of Ebay already assembled, total including shipping was just over $160.

At first it sounded terrible and I emailed the seller. He explained how to adjust the internal volume and it sounds good now. I have sweet sounds for a half of a block. The Belkin would barely make it across the street and the sound quality was inconsistent. Some nights it was much better than others and many nights people couldn't receive it on their car stereos.

I don't want you to get the wrong impression, the Belkin worked and I think in other locations it would be much better but I don't think my location is good for low power FM transmitters. The Ramsey is much better.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Luke on this one. I purchased the Belkin TuneCast II for $8.00 off of ebay. I followed the past posted information about opening up the unit and cutting the antenna wire about 3/4 " from the circuit board. Then solder a 22 gauge wire 66" long to it. Place the unit back together and brought the antenna wire out of the other side of the unit. Then I hooked up a 12 volt DC adapter to it and presto, I am in business. From start to finish, it only had taken 30 mins.

I tuned my transmitter to 90.1 megz and started up one of my LOR programed songs. I drove down the street and started back towards the house. When I got to about the sixth house, the music was coming in clear. Great reception and sound. I was totally amazed how such a small little unit can produce such great sound.

My computer is in the front of my house, so I am sure that helps a lot for reaching down to the sixth house. If you want to save money, then I recommend this unit and follow the instructions in these post.

Thanks to each one to whom has posted information about these units.