Light-O-Rama Forums

Hello,
I would like to know if among you, someone uses panels in P5 to make matrices with the software S5. I specify panel P5 leds SMD 2727. To know what kind of card it uses and if there are tutorials. I would like to work with these panels for Christmas 2020.

See link for the matrix.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33008313692.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.42cd30a6yEjAd9&algo_pvid=fd603f95-82ba-4704-90f0-f7b4a721f188&algo_expid=fd603f95-82ba-4704-90f0-f7b4a721f188-35&btsid=9a746238-d8cf-4f32-974a-12eb1f5ffa7d&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3,searchweb201603_53
cordially
ESTRUGA Pedro

those of us that use it connect them with something called a colorlight card which is connected to a Pi running FPP in bridge mode.  I don't think S5 supports it any other way.

There are (as far as I know), three different ways to drive P5 and P10 matrix panels. The first two involve use of Falcon Player.  The first as caniac said is to run FPP on a Raspberry Pi and have that output to a ColorLight receiver card which in turn drives the matrix panels.  The second uses either a Raspberry Pi or a Beaglebone single board computer running Falcon Player and then an adapter that plugs into the Pi or BB which drives the matrix panels.  In either case, the Falcon Player is configured in Bridge mode.  This makes it appear as a simple E1.31 device as far as LOR is concerned.  Therefore, LOR can sequence it just fine.  For smaller matrices, either method works, but for larger numbers, the Pi to ColorLight is the preferred way to go.  My matrices are fairly small, bit I wanted to try out the ColorLight method when I first built them in 2018.  However I changed that to using a Beaglebone with the adapter for 2019.

The third method to use a P5 or P10 matrix is to use it as a video monitor.  This method uses a different ColorLight card called a Sender card which plugs into your computer and takes DVI video and converts that to a data stream which is sent to the ColorLight receiver card which drives the matrix.  In this situation, you are not sequencing the matrix in the traditional sense, but rather using a video file as your media file in LOR.  To make any changes to the video, you use a video editing program.  LOR just plays the video.  I have no experience using video, but there are lots of people here who have.

This is a summary.  There are a lot of details I have left out in part because I am typing this on my phone and don't want to type a novel on the phone...

• Like 1