Jump to content

Can you change a LOR controller ID without the software suite?


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

Its been a long time since I've been on here and have taken a 3 year break from light shows but I am planning on coming back for 2020..

So my question is can I change a LOR controller ID without using the LOR software suite? Is there a standalone program available to change just the controller ID? I don't need any test utilities or anything fancy, just something to change the ID. I have one V2 LOR controller, that I've been running in DMX mode since 2015, and I do not use any LOR related software at this point.. So I don't have a current or even active license for the sequencer or more importantly the hardware utility.

I still have a USB RS485 LOR dongle so the hardware is there. 

If there is anyway to do this that would be great.

 

Thank you so much for any help in advance, and Merry Christmas!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Controllers with dip switches can set the ID as the dip switches override the software. However, it takes the Hardware Utility to set the ID for those without dip switches, no way around it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Controllers with dip switches can set the ID as the dip switches override the software. However, it takes the Hardware Utility to set the ID for those without dip switches, no way around it.

Ah.. That sucks I have one of the planet christmas models without the dip switches..

Is there any hardware utility type of program available for free?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding stingy... But it's just not really worth the money in my opinion to have to spend $40 USD just to buy software to assign a single controller a new ID.

 

Anyway, Thank you so much for the quick response! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOR software is actually free to play with in Demo mode, you just can't save things. Try using the LOR HU and see if it will set the ID in the Demo version, I don't know as it has been many many years since I used Demo mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

LOR software is actually free to play with in Demo mode, you just can't save things. Try using the LOR HU and see if it will set the ID in the Demo version, I don't know as it has been many many years since I used Demo mode.

I looked in the comparison software list on the LOR site and according to it, the demo does not have a functional HU. http://www1.lightorama.com/showtime-sequencing-suite/#levels (under utility programs).

However I will still try this later today when I get the chance.

Thank you. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, canadianchristmas said:

I looked in the comparison software list on the LOR site and according to it, the demo does not have a functional HU. http://www1.lightorama.com/showtime-sequencing-suite/#levels (under utility programs).

However I will still try this later today when I get the chance.

Thank you. 

 

Yep, sure seems like it. Just keep in mind if you do have to purchase the software; Basic only allows two ID's 1 & 2, Basic Plus 1-4, Standard 1-8. If you need a higher ID then 8 you will need an Advanced license.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Yep, sure seems like it. Just keep in mind if you do have to purchase the software; Basic only allows two ID's 1 & 2, Basic Plus 1-4, Standard 1-8. If you need a higher ID then 8 you will need an Advanced license.

Thats not too good... Putting a limit on the first 2 Id's in the HU seems petty.. I understand the limit for the sequencer and the scheduler, but the hardware utility?? Really... 

 

12 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Why do you need to change the unit ID?

Just work around it.

JR

I wanted to have other things on that universe that come before..

Thats really it.

I could work around it, but that would mean moving other channels around at the expense of the controller, or making an entire other universe just for this one box. It can be done but I don't really want to have to work around things, I want things to work with me whenever possible to make my life simpler.

Maybe I am just subconsciously looking for a reason to move on from LOR.. I don't really know.

Although this show is next year so I am most-likely either going to sell this controller, and replace it with something else, or stick it on its own universe.. 

 

Again thanks for all the help everyone!

Edited by canadianchristmas
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

So why does your profile say you have S3.9.0. You can still use that.

I used to use that LOR version, until 2015 when I switched to Xlights. Now my whole show for 2020 will be running on a MA2 and madrix, all time coded in midi.

I no longer know my old advanced license key.. (As I said I no longer have an active license). However I do still know the email address that was associated with the license.


It just says that in my profile because thats what it was years ago and I haven't been here in 3 years. When I logged in today, the forum forced me to keep that information there, even though I know it's not currently accurate. 

 

Sorry for any confusion. I hope that clears things up.. Thanks for your time.

I forgot how fast these forums could be.. LOR still has an awesome support network! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

Pull a copy of your license then download the v3.9.0 and use the HU.

http://www1.lightorama.com/software-license-retrieval/

Oh cool! thanks.. Can I still do that though if it's registered to a dead computer? The license was on a computer that died several years ago and I no longer have.. I never thought about the HU at the time.. If I can just use my old license key though that would be good.. Should I contact support if its registered on a dead machine?

I guess I'll give it a shot later today, and if it fails I'll open a ticket.

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, canadianchristmas said:

Oh cool! thanks.. Can I still do that though if it's registered to a dead computer? The license was on a computer that died several years ago and I no longer have.. I never thought about the HU at the time.. If I can just use my old license key though that would be good.. Should I contact support if its registered on a dead machine?

I guess I'll give it a shot later today, and if it fails I'll open a ticket.

Thanks!

A license is forever and you get five license seats. If you need more you just contact the Help Desk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check your license:  http://lightorama.com/licenseCheck.html

This page allows you to check status (last version licensed is the import part for you) if you have your license number; or if you don't have your license number, you can just enter the E-Mail address and LOR will send you the license information.  If you can no longer access the E-Mail address that you used, you would have to contact the LOR help desk.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I didn't bother with this whole thread someone may have said this alread.

You do NOT need a license to run the Hardware Utility to change the Unit ID of a controller.  Download and install the software from our website and run it in demo mode.  Then start the hardware utility and change the Unit ID.

You  DO need to have a USB adapter to be able to do that.  If you don't want to buy ours you can use any USB to RS485 adapter, just remember that the data pins are 4 & 5 (BL/BL&WH D+/D-).

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DevMike said:

Sorry, I didn't bother with this whole thread someone may have said this alread.

You do NOT need a license to run the Hardware Utility to change the Unit ID of a controller.  Download and install the software from our website and run it in demo mode.  Then start the hardware utility and change the Unit ID.

You  DO need to have a USB adapter to be able to do that.  If you don't want to buy ours you can use any USB to RS485 adapter, just remember that the data pins are 4 & 5 (BL/BL&WH D+/D-).

I recommended that earlier but we were a little confused.

Question: The LOR pages state that the Demo mode works as a Basic license so would that limit them to only assigning ID 01 or 02?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Demo works as a basic license ONLY for Visualizer and if I am not mistaken Previews.

HWU Will allow you to set ANY Unit ID regardless of license (including demo).  If you want to set a controller to F0, it will allow it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DevMike said:

Demo works as a basic license ONLY for Visualizer and if I am not mistaken Previews.

HWU Will allow you to set ANY Unit ID regardless of license (including demo).  If you want to set a controller to F0, it will allow it.

Thanks, that clears up a lot with ID numbers and licenses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...