Light-O-Rama Forums

Anybody running LOR on a MacBook Pro via Parallels?

Donl1150

I run my show on a PC dedicated for LOR but now with the show running, I want to still work on fine tuning things in the evening.  I have LOR downloaded onto my MacBook and as well as copies of all of my files.  The SE seems to run perfectly.  The VI opens and appears to have my layout shown properly but when I put it in to simulation mode and run the sequence, nothing shows up on the VI.  Any ideas?

I don't believe LOR runs on a MAC, I bought a cheap windows laptop for the LOR sequencing and light control, I like my mac's for everything else but was told when we started no macs. I am going to follow your post to see if things have changed, I don't really like windows 10 but it runs our show, I just never connect to the internet unless to download a song or sequence.

I read here I may be setting myself up for trouble later by not letting the pc update itself but i am hoping it makes the Christmas season then ill update and disconnect again. I back up often so keeping my fingers crossed.

Keith

I think you are correct Keith that LOR may not "run" from the Mac.  It sure looks like you can create/modify sequences while on the Mac.  Actually the SE appears to run a lot faster on the Mac as well.  I am just having trouble getting the Visualizer to run.  I think I will open a ticket and see what they say about doing the sequencing/visualizing on the Mac with Parallels.

5 minutes ago, Donl1150 said:

I think you are correct Keith that LOR may not "run" from the Mac.  It sure looks like you can create/modify sequences while on the Mac.  Actually the SE appears to run a lot faster on the Mac as well.  I am just having trouble getting the Visualizer to run.  I think I will open a ticket and see what they say about doing the sequencing/visualizing on the Mac with Parallels.

What is Parallels

Parallels runs on Mac and allows you to run Windows simultaneously on your Mac.  Simply swipe and you have all you Mac OS programs and swipe back and you have all your Windows programs.  

You can ONLY run lor in Windows. Period.

You MIGHT be able to run it in a Windows virtual machine in Mac Parallels

That's what Parallels is Phil....a VM that allows you to run Windows programs.  I am currently running Windows 7 in the VM and have to decide if I want to go to 10 when support for 7 ends next month.  Not looking forward to 10 at all.

Couple of messages from Help Desk and I got the Visualizer and Sequencer to work on the Windows side of my Mac.  Now I can work on my files in the evening while the show is running on my PC!    Just had to turn off Advanced Rendering Engine in the Vizualizer.

I have been running LOR with 12 controllers and multiple ELLs across 2 houses on a Mac ("Mini") for about 12 years.  I've done XP via bootcamp way back when, and the last few years on a newer Mini via Parallels (v13.x) and Windows 7.  It is all seamless and has always run well.   Folding it into the Mac to have things like iTunes and Remote access have been amazing.  The only snag I have come across is not getting the PixCon 16 RGB boards to work/be recognized that I bought when they first came out. LOR dismissed it when I tried to chase the issues early on.   I probably need to run boot camp and set up a partition and move to 10 next year but would lose the Mac features.  Crazy to see the LOR apps in the Mac dock...  Not getting the RGB boards to work has frustrated the heck out of me and stopped me from moving into RGB.  I need to set aside time to get the drivers sorted out when I can find time after the season.

Maybe is Mac users need a support circle so we have our own "tribe".

Edited by Wingrider
More thoughts

I don't run my main show from a mac, but I have sequenced on my mac plenty using VMWare fusion (similar to Parallels), and we have run a small halloween display from the Mac as well. Works just fine. 

Thanks all.   I have now been working on my sequences with my MB Pro, since that machine is so much faster than the NEW Lenovo I bought this year to run my show.  When I am done with a file I then copy it to the PC to insert into the show.   However, I think I am going to experiment with my MacBook Air and try to get my show to run from it.  Windows 10 just seems so slow just to even boot up to get to the LOR suite.  Plus that way I will be able to more easily remote access in to the show if we happen to be gone a few days during the season.

I also work on my MBP and then copy over the sequences to my Mac Mini running the show.  I use Apple Remote Desktop to also access the Mini in and around shows for maintenance.  I have been known to sit out front with my laptop into the Mini running the show making changes and editing then watching the results.  I'm sure others can also do remote access like this on the Windows side,  but the option to do it is really easy on the Mac so far.