Light-O-Rama Forums

Critter chew

ItsMeBobO

Right side near bottom.      That is a lot of chewing.    I only find damage on the ground wire so will continue to use this one. 

CritterChew.jpg

13 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Right side near bottom.      That is a lot of chewing.    I only find damage on the ground wire so will continue to use this one. 

CritterChew.jpg

Question Bob, with that ground wire exposed where some rodent has chewed through to it, and if everything is through a GFCI breaker or outlet, won't the ground being exposed like that cause possible GFCI trips if it were to get wet and your display in operation?

Me, if the ground wire is just exposed and not broken, I'd go to my local Home Depot and buy some of that Flex Seal stuff and seal it up, that stuff works fantastic for repairing cords that have some outer damage that's minimal like that.  Seeing that flex seal weather-proofs stuff it seals when dry.

I used some on some of my cords that got damaged when I scraped them or got nicked like that.

Just a suggestion for future reference and repair of cords that may sustain minor damage, but exposes a bare wire like that

Orville. A US GFCI measures current imbalance between White and Black ONLY. Any imbalance is assumed (correctly) to be Fault leakage, The Green is just a path.  Seal that (liquid tape/RTV) for the cords sake (keeps water corrosion away), the number of strands remaining looks sufficient.

You can use 2 prong devices without problem in the outlet, BUT you should never us a device that HAD a 3 prong plug as a 2 prong device. That prong IS the intended leakage path, not your body.

Bob, one of my duties (more than once) while  in the Navy, was Division Safety Petty Officer. We are supposed to see issues and REPORT them. It does not go away just because the hat did.   Sorry

22 hours ago, Mr. P said:

LOL, if you post a pic you know someone like Ducks is going to call you on it.  🤣

Of course I was inviting discussion about using the chewed cord.    The covers however are not upside down.  They are the only mountable position which is usable.    Unless you are 6 inches tall, when the outlet is close to the ground you cant see under them to plug cords in or see the indicator lights. 

18 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Orville. A US GFCI measures current imbalance between White and Black ONLY. Any imbalance is assumed (correctly) to be Fault leakage, The Green is just a path.  Seal that (liquid tape/RTV) for the cords sake (keeps water corrosion away), the number of strands remaining looks sufficient.

You can use 2 prong devices without problem in the outlet, BUT you should never us a device that HAD a 3 prong plug as a 2 prong device. That prong IS the intended leakage path, not your body.

Bob, one of my duties (more than once) while  in the Navy, was Division Safety Petty Officer. We are supposed to see issues and REPORT them. It does not go away just because the hat did.   Sorry

Interesting, I thought because it was "GROUND" Fault Current Indicator {if memory serves me right on the names}, that it's function was related to "ground faults", interesting to know it's for the Hot and Neutral wires!

My friend in Mobile, AL contacted me a few weeks ago about critters chewing his wires and bulbs.

I have 7 acres in woods and have never had this problem. Now they do commit suicide when they enter my attic through a hole (I have repaired it) and the hole happens to be dead center of two wall studs. It also has that blown in insulation. One miss step and its 30' in between two walls for them. They try to jump but the walls are to slick. I've even tried to help them out but no takers. They end up dying in there. We have never smelled them since the odor probably vents out the same way they got in.

Not tearing my walls down to save a squirrel. Luckily I haven't had any in there this year (yet).

JR

3 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Of course I was inviting discussion about using the chewed cord.    The covers however are not upside down.  They are the only mountable position which is usable.    Unless you are 6 inches tall, when the outlet is close to the ground you cant see under them to plug cords in or see the indicator lights. 

Reminds me of my power stakes out in the yard. Those trap doors made it impossible to get 3 cords in them so they had to go.

JR

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Reminds me of my power stakes out in the yard. Those trap doors made it impossible to get 3 cords in them so they had to go.

JR

🤣  I know what you mean about them, but I still managed to keep the trap doors and still get my cords into the outlets just the same.   'cuz I'm to stubborn to allow a simple little plastic door to defeat me!🤣

Just now, Orville said:

🤣  I know what you mean about them, but I still managed to keep the trap doors and still get my cords into the outlets just the same.   'cuz I'm to stubborn to allow a simple little plastic door to defeat me!🤣

Me to. That's why I rip them off. I use a 5 gallon bucket with notches for cables to protect plugs out in the yard. I do drive a spike in the ground and ziptie any non staked cables to the top to keep them off the ground first. 

I then drive a stake next to all props and wrap/ ziptie all cables and power cords to use as an additional strain relief in case a deer or dumb human goes through the yard and breaks one. Id rather have to make a new cat 5 cable then replace a nw jack or have a controller power cord get yanked and mess something up.

JR

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Interesting, I thought because it was "GROUND" Fault Current Indicator {if memory serves me right on the names}, that it's function was related to "ground faults", interesting to know it's for the Hot and Neutral wires!

It is looking for a difference in current between the hot and neutral wires.  The assumption is that if there is a difference, there is a leakage to ground - hence the name.

13 hours ago, k6ccc said:

It is looking for a difference in current between the hot and neutral wires.  The assumption is that if there is a difference, there is a leakage to ground - hence the name.

Arrgh, where's a head slap emoji when you need on?:lol:  Been so long since I replaced or installed one, I just couldn't remember how they functioned.  Now to find an animated head slap emoji I can use for the next time I hit a "dumb moment", er, perhaps "Senior moment" for me......;)

Last year I had a critter (presumably a squirrel) biting LED bulbs clean off. But only the blue ones. They must taste the best. Must gotten 4 or 5. I kept finding them in the yard. They are bitten off so close to the bulb that there is no room to re-attach it. I figured ONE I could just re-connect the wires. But after that I just gave up. 

y4mMazNagTRyvHeYAWdqP4aPR5aeiwp4c5IGVw_o

2 hours ago, tlogan said:

Last year I had a critter (presumably a squirrel) biting LED bulbs clean off. But only the blue ones. They must taste the best. Must gotten 4 or 5. I kept finding them in the yard. They are bitten off so close to the bulb that there is no room to re-attach it. I figured ONE I could just re-connect the wires. But after that I just gave up. 

y4mMazNagTRyvHeYAWdqP4aPR5aeiwp4c5IGVw_o

All I can think on that one is the squirrel must think they are blueberries, bites them off, goes down into the yard to eat them, then finds out, what the %&#(@&$ is this I just scored?, it's INEDIBLE!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Also, I've read that some of the coatings used on the wires contain some type of peanut extract.  Whatever engineer came up with that one didn't think through it all the way!

15 hours ago, Orville said:

All I can think on that one is the squirrel must think they are blueberries, bites them off, goes down into the yard to eat them, then finds out, what the %&#(@&$ is this I just scored?, it's INEDIBLE!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

They are smart enough to figure out every "squirrel proof" bird feeder I've had except the current one and yet they couldn't figure out they're NOT berries after one try.

13 hours ago, jfuller8400 said:

Also, I've read that some of the coatings used on the wires contain some type of peanut extract.  Whatever engineer came up with that one didn't think through it all the way!

Sure the engineer did.  How else do you think they'd sell you more and more replacement strands?  Coat them with peanut oil so critters will try and eat and break them, then you have to buy more for replacement.   Dumb for us, smart for the company to make more ca$h-flow for them.

So I think they actually do these things ON PURPOSE!  As we, as consumers{the majority} would never think of this aspect.

But sometimes one of us is smart enough to figure out their angle, and this is exactly why they do some crazy things, at least to most of us we wonder why would they do this?  Now you know!.

Edited by Orville