Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX and Pixies

grouptcl

1 hour ago, grouptcl said:

Can pixies 4-8-16 be used as DMX   if so can anyone point me towards the right instructions ?

Thanks

NO (except for a Pixie4. at least that is what my UG says)

11 minutes ago, grouptcl said:

Se if I got this right:

Pixie4 =DMX

Pixie8 = NO DMX

Pixie16: NO DMX

Am I getting this right ?

I had it slightly wrong.  There is a Pixie4_DMX, which is not the same as a Pixie4  (LOR). The manual for Pixies (includes 2nd Gen) is in the LOR documentation downloads.

Do you agree with what I read?

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

What The Ducks said is my understanding as well.  Note that a DMX universe is hard limited by the DMX standard to 512 channels or 170 pixels.  Therefore, with four strings, you could only run 42 pixels per string (almost useful).  If you could run a Pixie 16 on DMX, you would be limited to 10 pixels per string (pretty much useless).

Ok so is there a viable solution to running lights on DMX universe (so regular networks) or is that a nono altogheter ?

Personally I have never seen the Pixie4DMX for sale in the store. I see it in the manual but I don't know if it is already out or maybe a future thing.

The only pixel controller by LOR that I have seen that works on DMX is the Pixcon16.

I think the question is: why do you think you need to run LOR controllers on DMX?  You are using LOR software and LOR controllers, there is very little reason to use DMX - it buys you nothing.  The only real reason to use DMX from LOR is if you are trying to control DMX only devices - such as moving light heads.  Note that I am not including E1.31 (which is DMX over Ethernet) in this statement.

I guess I was trying to use regular networks to control everything instead of rewiring a bunch of stuff around the house sing I already have extensive network capabilities installed all arount the house.  Now seems like I need to rewire everything separately for LOR

If you are trying to use your existing Ethernet networks, that changes just about everything.  That is certainly possible, but completely changes how you run your networking.  It means that you are using E1.31 from the show computer.  That works fine for large number of pixels using E1.31 controllers - such as the LOR Pixcon16, SanDevices, Alphapix, or Falcon controllers (to name just a few).  In order to use non-pixel controllers (such as LOR AC or DC controllers), you need an E1.31 to DMX bridge.  Some Pixel controllers can perform that function.  From the E1.31 bridge, you would run Cat-5 for RS-485 carrying DMX traffic to your non-pixel controllers. 

One can also just run an E1.31 network alongside a regular LOR AC network.  We have a dongle (the old black one) that comes off our PC for the LOR AC controllers and an ethernet cable to a switch which then goes to our AlphaPix controllers.  I keep my E1.31 on a totally different IP than my normal home network.  (normal network that connects to internet is 192.,168.1.x and E1.31 is 192.168.10.x)

We use a LOR ELL (wireless) to get the signal from inside to the various controllers outside so there isn't any wiring for the AC controllers at all.  Once it is setup in the LOR Network configuration and in my S5 Preview, it doesn't matter how it is happening, all the functions of the software work normally.