Light-O-Rama Forums

Just an FYI - PJD is now posting separate from DBeebe

PJD

This is a just an FYI to let anyone who cares know that I finally decided to just create my own account.  I have been posting for a few months just using my husband's DBeebe account, but since it seems like I am here to stay, it seemed to be a good idea to start over with my own.

DBeebe is my husband.  He has been using LOR since 2010.   It was originally just a Xmas show, but after a couple of years he added Halloween as well.  Unfortunately, we have had a minimal show the last couple of years, because he is insane and is building an over 120' retaining wall along the front of our property.  It has taken far longer than he originally expected and it is pretty hard to have a nice show when the entire front of your yard is torn up!  Last year, he asked me to take over the software side of this hobby.  He is handling everything hardware and I am staying inside and dealing with the computers.

Since I came at this as pretty much a newbie, and DBeebe never really moved beyond S3, I decided to just start with S5.  I'm feeling pretty good with my decision.  I think S5 makes a lot of sense and may actually be easier for a newbie to understand.  As I have been discussing/explaining stuff to DBeebe, I have certainly come to understand that it is a significant change in mindset from the earlier versions.

So not a terribly useful post - but it seemed rude to just suddenly disappear as DBeebe and re-appear with a new name!

PJD

"because he is insane and is building an over 120' retaining wall along the front of our property.  It has taken far longer than he originally expected"

Heh,heh,heh…..took me 10 years to finish my basement. Everything takes twice a s long as you think it will. Then double that.

6 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Heh,heh,heh…..took me 10 years to finish my basement. Everything takes twice a s long as you think it will. Then double that.

LOL - we are Waaaay beyond that estimate!  When he started, he thought it would take "a few months" - it has now been 2 years + a few months.  Of course, our weather doesn't help - he can't work on it once the ground freezes and we are in Northern Illinois.  I was hopeful it would be completed this year, but I think the last 10 feet or so aren't going to make it.  Oh well, it's like the Cubs - "Just wait 'til next year"!

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Hmmm, never knew you were one in the same. So I guess I should yell at your husband for not reading my pm yet?  😁

I didn't realize there was a PM - one reason for just setting up my own account was to be able to get the notification emails sent to me.  I'll login at some point here with his account and take a look.  Sorry  - PJD

1 hour ago, PJD said:

LOL - we are Waaaay beyond that estimate!  When he started, he thought it would take "a few months" - it has now been 2 years + a few months.  Of course, our weather doesn't help - he can't work on it once the ground freezes and we are in Northern Illinois.  I was hopeful it would be completed this year, but I think the last 10 feet or so aren't going to make it.  Oh well, it's like the Cubs - "Just wait 'til next year"!

Your weather... pffffft. You just get a bunch of wind. We get all that lake effect snow after the wind blows past you! And at least the Cubs won (finally). I live in Detroit and am still mad at my father for introducing me to the Lions.

….and I had the remnants of two hurricanes flood my basement 3 years apart almost to the exact day while I was finishing it.

The Lions. pfft. Dare I say it....Redskins.

OK MichRX7, I will grant you the lake effect snow - we are very grateful it ends up on the other side of the lake!

tlogan -  We definitely don't have to worry about hurricanes here, but I can certainly understand why your basement took so long.  It has got to be hard to get enthused about doing the same project over and over again.

Have you SEEN the Bears play the last couple of weeks? - I think they are trying to help the Lions move up in the standings.

I wanted to try posting a photo to see if I can host things I want to post here in my new Imgur account.  I mostly use Google Photos and it doesn't work well with most forums...

This is a photo of the front of out house.  You can see the huge multi-year retaining wall project.  The house faces South.  The wall is complete from the West property line to just before the drive way on the East.  We have 3 lots for a total of 180ft along the front.  There is already an existing wall that comes down the sides of the driveway that he put it over 25 years ago.  The new wall has to connect in with that old wall at the corner.  The corner is also going to be 2 tiers since we can't go over 4 feet high for any of the wall (local code).  There was some hope this would be done this year, but then he injured his shoulder, so it is looking pretty unlikely....

We had a very minimal show for the last couple of years because of the construction.  We are doing more this year, but we still won't be able to really use most of the West lot, so it still won't be the full show.

NjvICkr.jpg?1

It is a nice wall - it's just taken a VERY long time to build!

My husbands Aunt & Uncle lived in Burbank - not close, but not too terribly far....

Cool looking house. Nice job on the brickwork. That's WAAAAY more work than I want to do. I hauled 2,500 pounds of play sand into my basement for my theater and will NEVER do that again. NO WAY am I hauling bricks around.

tlogan - Thank you.  It is looking really nice, it's just frustrating how long its been under construction!  I guess on the plus side, my husband is getting pretty buff from hauling around all the blocks.  They are around 82 pounds each and he has set every single one of those himself (over 2.5 years ... and counting).  Looking at it from the pictures, I think we are going to have to find a way to raise up the 16 light-up pumpkins - they are a little hard to see down near the ground when you are standing at street level. 

• The topic was locked