Light-O-Rama Forums

Multiple Tracks

grouptcl

Can anyone help me understand tracks ?
Are what you refer to tracks actual music tracks or a way to organise sequence in a similar way as groups ?

So my question is 2 folds:
1- Can we add multiple sound files to a sequence ?  For exemple thunder sound effects or narration in the background to interact with specific props ?  How can that be done

2- In organizing a sequence why and how would one use tracks VS Groups ?

Thanks

Tracks in S4 have nothing to do with music.

If you want to add a sound effect to a sequence, you will need to edit the song file to add the effect where you want it. You could do something like that in Audacity.

Tracks and groups are both methods of organising channels to make sequencing easier. They both have a similar function but have slightly different characteristics.

Tracks can contain groups but groups can't be subdivided into tracks.

Each  track can have it's own timing grid, so you can organize your timings for different effects.

Tracks appeared in the software early in its development, groups, are a somewhat more recent addition.

I have about 15 tracks, for different effects in my pixels, and most of them contain groups of pixels to make life easier.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Tracks in S4 have nothing to do with music.

If you want to add a sound effect to a sequence, you will need to edit the song file to add the effect where you want it. You could do something like that in Audacity.

Tracks and groups are both methods of organising channels to make sequencing easier. They both have a similar function but have slightly different characteristics.

Tracks can contain groups but groups can't be subdivided into tracks.

Each  track can have it's own timing grid, so you can organize your timings for different effects.

Tracks appeared in the software early in its development, groups, are a somewhat more recent addition.

I have about 15 tracks, for different effects in my pixels, and most of them contain groups of pixels to make life easier.

Thanks for this. (I was having trouble wrapping my thick skull around this topic)

More questions: Do I define ALL my channels in the main track, THEN also place them as needed in additional tracks (I am thinking tracks are virtual views of the main. Correct?)

23 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

More questions: Do I define ALL my channels in the main track, THEN also place them as needed in additional tracks (I am thinking tracks are virtual views of the main. Correct?)

Yes, all your channels will be in your master track. Your following tracks can be any or all from your master and you can configure them in any order without it affecting the master. Example: Track 1 can be for arches in any order you want to put them. Track 2 can be trees and so on. Any sequencing you do in the tracks will reflect in the master.

Tracks make it easier to arrange channels so it is easier to sequence without screwing up the master track. Remember that you always add channels to the bottom of the master but in tracks you can put them anywhere. 

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

One other thing. If you copy a grouped set of channels from the master track to another, be sure to DEGROUP them in the target track before moving them around, then regroup them in your new configuration. If you do not degroup, the channels in the original track will move too, which is probably not what you want.

It is a glitch in S4.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grouptcl said:

So If I get this right a "track" in S4 is now called a "beat channel" in S5 ?

No. Tracks are still there, and will come over from S4 when you convert (Hopefully), They are now called Grid View Groups, I think, and they behave "almost but not entirely unlike" Tracks.

(Sorry, Channeling the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy there, for a moment.)

A beat channel is just a non functioning channel with beat marks in it.

ok...  Is there a way then to have 2 sound files (say 1 music and one sound effect) in the same sequence ?

Not in the same sequence, unless as I said above, you edit the audio.

You might be able to play a second sequence as a background, but it would require careful timing, and the channels used could not be in both sequences.

• Like 1