Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX network smart pixels blink and worse?

PCRail

I think I need Geek help with this one. I've searched for solutions to this problem and I've tried dozens of possible solutions, none of which worked. 

Here goes: On my Dell Inspiron 15, I use a USB to ethernet adapter to connect to a smart pixel controller from "the other guys." I can connect to the controller over the network and can carry out functions configuring the controller. I can set the controller to various test patterns that are run from the controller  and all's well. When I run a sequence from S5, the first sign of trouble is what looks like random blinking of individual props that are set to Colorwash motion effect. If I try to actually play a sequence, I get something sort of like the sequence but with a lot of flashing white pixels and other craziness.

Eventually, my troubleshooting led me to try an older computer. Nothing else changed. Same network adapter, same cables. The random blinking was gone and the sequence ran perfectly.

Knowing that this is apparently a problem specific to my computer and possibly to any newer computers, I've tried things like changing adapter drivers, reinstalling USB 3.0 Hub, resetting the network, different USB network adapters and on and on.

I'm out of ideas and various Google hits keep giving solutions that I've already tried.

The good news is, I have this old computer that works with the adapters and the LOR network seems OK. The bad news is that I am unable to both sequence and run shows from my regular computer which is inconvenient. I would really, really, really appreciate any ideas about possible solutions or suggestions for places to look for help, other than in this Coffee Shop.

Solved! It was a network config problem. I don't know why there's was a problem, but, when I deleted everything on the DMX  tab except for the props I was testing, the problem went away.  Thanks if you took the time to read this. Sometimes, writing about a problem helps me to a solution.

• The topic was locked