Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR II Software

Guest guest

This is a question for Dan (of LOR). What OS is LOR II going to require? An old PC has been donated to the cause of a more joyous Christmas. I'm cleaning it up and it only has Window 98 SE2 on it. Will that be enough, or do I need to upgrade the OS?

Thanks,

Ken Mays

mysticturner wrote:

This is a question for Dan (of LOR). What OS is LOR II going to require? An old PC has been donated to the cause of a more joyous Christmas. I'm cleaning it up and it only has Window 98 SE2 on it. Will that be enough, or do I need to upgrade the OS?

Ken,

The programmer told me LORII would require Windows 98 SE.... The current version will run on Windows 98.

Thanks for the speedy response Dan. I kept looking around and found your response about requirements on April 4th on the 'LOR in 2006' thread:

timj wrote:

What are the minimum system requirements to efficiently run the LOR software (and the LOR II software) ?

400 MHz or faster CPU

Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000 or XP

20 MB free disk space + room for Audio and Sequence files

128 MB RAM

One serial port or a USB to serial port adapter (adapter is available from LOR)

Holds true for ( LOR II ).

The PC I'm cleaning up is a 1 GHz Pentium III with 320MB and a (soon to be cleaned off) 20 GB drive. Has USB too so looks like I'm set.

I know 400 Mhz is the minimum requirement but will that run smoothly? I'm planning on using an old tower for a dedicated running machine. It's 400mhz with like 380 ram or so. Will that work smoothly and efficiently with LOR II?

timj wrote:

I know 400 Mhz is the minimum requirement but will that run smoothly? I'm planning on using an old tower for a dedicated running machine. It's 400mhz with like 380 ram or so. Will that work smoothly and efficiently with LOR II?
When it is playing a show it will be fine. For editing sequences it will be a bit slow but it will work.

We've been using a PII 350 PC and it can get a little glitchy. It tends to cut off parts of the show (skip) which is a problem. We haven't upgraded yet because our DIO boards use ISA slots......

• 2 weeks later...

Dan,

Grateful for the sale prices. I'd like to do the starter kit so where I buy the software and the controller at the same time and get the connector and cable for free. Will the LOR 1 software still be sold during the sale dates or will LOR II be at by then?

mcnamara9 wrote:

I'd like to do the starter kit so where I buy the software and the controller at the same time and get the connector and cable for free. Will the LOR 1 software still be sold during the sale dates or will LOR II be at by then?

LOR II will not be sold during the sale. It will be out in time for this Christmas Season. It is looking really neat. As we have always promised, LOR II software will be more expensive (but a free upgrade to existing user)... All existing LOR compatible controllers (even the ones sold during the sale) will not work with LOR II without a (free) LOR supplied upgrade.

LightORama wrote:

LOR II will not be sold during the sale. It will be out in time for this Christmas Season.

Dan,

Could you expound on the statement you posted. More than the controllers, I have been waiting to play with the new LOR II and start sequencing music. If it will be out in time for the Christmas season does that mean in the Fall?

Thanks

DCook wrote:

Dan,

Could you expound on the statement you posted. More than the controllers, I have been waiting to play with the new LOR II and start sequencing music. If it will be out in time for the Christmas season does that mean in the Fall?

Thanks

Don't wait. Start early. Creating your sequences will take longer than you think, regardless of which LOR version you use. Anything you learn with LOR(1) will be transferable to LORII, and give you a head start on the new software.

Don, you are absolutely right. I do have about 6 songs already sequenced from Christmas 2005 but I have one song I would like to do this year that is going to be particularly challenging. I was so looking forward to using the beat finder for it.

I will continue to use LOR to sequence other songs for this year but I was just wondering about the release timing for LOR II just for this one song.

I am by no means going to hold up production of the show waiting on LOR II.

Thanks

I know you say you don't know when the software will be out, but I would like a realistic time date. Just a general month like october or something. This is so I can plan what I need to do. Take the example: You said a DMX card would be out 1-2 years ago, and now I have components that require DMX but I can't use it.

Brad Stevens wrote:

I know you say you don't know when the software will be out, but I would like a realistic time date. Just a general month like october or something. This is so I can plan what I need to do. Take the example: You said a DMX card would be out 1-2 years ago, and now I have components that require DMX but I can't use it.
As are many of you, I am frustrated by the delays in LOR II. Some of the delays were my fault some not.. I am not going to give any dates except to say it will be for this season. What does that mean? Well the software would have to be available at least a couple months prior to turing on displays to be of any value.