Light-O-Rama Forums

Number of channels for a 10 ft tree

markd78

markd78 wrote:

For a two color 10 ft tree, how many channels is just right ???

Depends on what you want to do with it. For instance, if what you want to do is do color changes and fades, then 2 channels would be what you need. If you want to do other stuff, then more channels (probably an even number due to 2 colors). The maximum would be 1 channel per string of lights.

As John says, it all depends on how you want it to do.... and how full you want it to look.

I use 24 channels for our 12 foot tree. 8 for red strings, 8 for green, and 8 for blue. This lets me have any one color, a mixture, and also the ability to do rotations.

matt tyndall wrote:

I have a 10 foot tree, 8 channels per color, two colors. Check out my website and look at the videos and picture if you want.

Love your Miracle of 34th Street video. Nice job! cheers.gif

I think what it really boils down to is your budget. Obviously if you want a higher resolution, (more slices) you will have to sacrafice the number of colors per slice. For a 10 foot tree, I would do two-color, 8-slice. Any taller and I would make it 16 slices and only do 1 color. If you use too few channels, the chasing effect around the tree *may* look choppy.

Can you spare 24 channels? Do a two-color, 12-slice tree.

Can you spare 32 channels? Do a 3-color, 10-slice tree

Are you mostly doing fast songs (like Trans-Siberian Orchestra) or slower songs? Generally, the slower the song, the less slices you need to make smooth chases.

...All things to consider. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Kevin