Light-O-Rama Forums

Lagging Shows

Mike Anderson

I have a few songs that I went pretty crazy on the pixel sequencing and they are large slow to load files.  My problem, It really lags when played.  I had one that the song finished and the lights kept going for about 30 seconds.  The lights were actually behind and noticeably slow.   I have 1500 pixel channels (500 lights X3) so it isn't anything too crazy.  Trying to figure out the solution.  Is it buy the RED adapter?  Is my computer too slow (its actually brand new).  

I should add that when I play the sequence without controlling the lights, it plays through just fine.

Any suggestions are welcomed and I thank you in advance.

Mike

Edited by Mike Anderson

28 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

1500 channels on how fast of a network?  And enhanced or non-enhanced?

Im going to guess non enhanced.  Im not that savvy when it comes to networking speeds. Im just using the black 485 adapter that came with the start up kit

What controller as well?

As my great friend says, you will probably need to

verify you are in 500k and enhanced is checked on the network.

Just throwing this out there- if you are using shared sequences do you have the correct song and album and are you running the music through Audacity?

The adapter can cause the same affect. Recommend the Red HS adapter for anything other than testing.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

What controller as well?

As my great friend says, you will probably need to

verify you are in 500k and enhanced is checked on the network.

Just throwing this out there- if you are using shared sequences do you have the correct song and album and are you running the music through Audacity?

JR

Also-

500 rgb lights per channel is a bit. You may need to add PI. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

1500 channels would not be a problem for a 500K Enhanced network,  but would be a major problem on a 115K (or slower) non-enhanced network.

*** Edit ***

Just read what Jim wrote about a 500K Enhanced Network, easy enough to give that a try.

--------------------------------

Ahh the dreaded lag. To check your network speed see the gif below.

Since you have a Pro license, then your best bet would be to get the USB485-HS (Red)

In fact  since the sale is going on now, why not get 2, one for back up.

LOR's Network speed  comparison page is here

Most likely it is not your pc, 1,500 channels is a lot for the Regular USB485 (Black)

Alan...

network%20enhanced.gif

Edited by default

9 hours ago, Mike Anderson said:

I have a few songs that I went pretty crazy on the pixel sequencing and they are large slow to load files.  My problem, It really lags when played.  I had one that the song finished and the lights kept going for about 30 seconds.  The lights were actually behind and noticeably slow.   I have 1500 pixel channels (500 lights X3) so it isn't anything too crazy.  Trying to figure out the solution.  Is it buy the RED adapter?  Is my computer too slow (its actually brand new).  

I should add that when I play the sequence without controlling the lights, it plays through just fine.

Any suggestions are welcomed and I thank you in advance.

Mike

I ran into this same issue.  You DEFINITELY NEED the RED ADAPTER!  You need to set the RGB Pixels to 500K, Enhanced and Aux A network using the network settings program that comes with the LOR Suite when you get the red adapter.  The black adapter CAN NOT handle the load of the Pixels and other controllers {i.e. older CTB16PC units} on a black adapter, it just can't keep up with the pixels.  I have 10 strands of 50 pixels and 5 RGB Controllers {older 5V units} and I had to go to the red adapter because EVERYTHING lagged in my show due to the number of pixels {1,500 channels}.  You will also need to change the network type for the pixels to Aux A and get them off the "Regular" LOR network.  I'm not sure about the G3 CTB16PC Controllers, because they can handle the higher speed networks, but the older CTB16PC units can not.  So you need two separate networks, older units on the black adapter {Regular Network} and Pixels on the Red adapter {High Speed 500K, Enhanced Network}.  Then everything should function at the proper speeds and you shouldn't have any further lag times.

I'm using a very old computer with only 2GB Ram and I think a 1.2Ghz processor using Windows 7 Home Premium and it runs my shows with no issues at all.

Hope this helps get your show running as it should without those dreaded and annoying lag times.

8 hours ago, k6ccc said:

1500 channels would not be a problem for a 500K Enhanced network,  but would be a major problem on a 115K (or slower) non-enhanced network.

If I am reading it correctly though he says he has 500 pixels per channel at 3 channels. That is a lot.

Unless after the ball game last night I just didn’t read it correctly but that’s what I read.

Most of us have around that for our entire matrix.

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

If I am reading it correctly though he says he has 500 pixels per channel at 3 channels. That is a lot.

Correct.  500 pixels equals 1500 channels (normally).  Not a big deal on a high speed enhanced network - but a major problem on a slow non-enhanced network.

Thanks Guys!  I will check the network speed when I get home this evening.  I have also added two red adapters to my shopping list!

Mike

Just another example why LOR needs to get rid of the black adapter, too much confusion. We need to start a campaign to make the red adapter the standard.  😁

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Just another example why LOR needs to get rid of the black adapter, too much confusion. We need to start a campaign to make the red adapter the standard.  😁

Hopefully they are just depleting their stock. Its only a few dollars more for the red.

JR

Is there any reason they don't have a "B" version of the Red. Can you not split an enhanced network?

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

Is there any reason they don't have a "B" version of the Red. Can you not split an enhanced network?

Yes, you can.  For several years I ran a USB adapter into a RJ-45 splitter with LOR network going two directions.

20 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, you can.  For several years I ran a USB adapter into a RJ-45 splitter with LOR network going two directions.

Which splitter, Jim, LOR's RS 485B or something else