Light-O-Rama Forums

Programming waltzes

Drac

Good day,

Now I have very little musical skill.  I depend mostly on the assistance of the generous persons here and the wave form at the top.  My show is setup on four counts as that is what most of the music I use is but there are more and more 3/4 or waltz songs out there such as Hedwig’s Theme.  

How do you program these into your shows?

Thanks,

Jim 

There is a lot that can be done with that. If only I had time.

If you don’t have a nice set of headphones they would be a great help.

James has the SS sequence down and he may be able to help you.

As far as where to put it in. My shows are constant loops and with the number of people that drive to see it I have no show opener. I will have a closer just so visitors know where they are at in the show.

I post my song order on our a few of our community Facebook pages so that visitors also know when they arrive what song is next.

JR

Oops, when I said program into show more of the sequencing of a 3/4 beat over props setup in groups of 4.  All the “timing” pieces are setup in 4s since most music is a 4/4 beat.

Jim

5 hours ago, Drac said:

Oops, when I said program into show more of the sequencing of a 3/4 beat over props setup in groups of 4.  All the “timing” pieces are setup in 4s since most music is a 4/4 beat.

Jim

When I come across odd number beats like that, this is how I handle it.  If I have blowmolds I use, for example I have 4 blowmolds of the same character I use if and when I do a Halloween show, instead of lighting up 1 of them on each beat, they are usually together as a group {as in singers}, I will use beat 1 for the outer 2, that is BM #1 and #4 will both light up, then the other 2 beats are used for the 2 center characters, beat 2, BM #2, beat 3 is BM #3.   If I have different BlowMolds, I may break the beat down into different BlowMolds or Light Strands, even if I have an even number for things, I will just change it out so that two light stands are on at the same time for a specific beat.  So say I have 10 except for 1 beat, each beat would turn on 2 stands of lights, now since 10 doesn't go into 3, on one beat I'd pick out the 3 strands of lights I'd want on at the same time, but allow the other strands  to be on with beat 3,  example would be strands 1,4 and 6 = beat 1, strands 3,7 and 9 = beat 2, strands 2,5,8,10 = beat 3.  You can break them up in any{beat pattern} way you want, but this is how I handle songs that don't always have an even timed beat.

Hope I explained this well enough.  But however you do it, it's your show and you just have to make tests and see how it looks, if you don't like the way it looks {and many times I don't}, you just have to keep trying different arrangements until it looks good to the flow of the music/song.

Good Luck.

Edited by Orville

• The topic was locked