Light-O-Rama Forums

Creating a model

griswald

I need to create a model/preview for a pixel matrix  that has 256 strands with 50 nodes each. The controllers are Pixie 16d's and as I understand it, when creating a model, you choose "Separate Unit ID for each RGB string". I have done this for the trees in the display and that worked ok, however, when I try to do the same for the matrix, I get an error stating "Invalid LOR unit id on row 113" (I have a attached a screenshot)

If I uncheck the "Separate Unit ID for each RGB string" box, I can create the model. I would appreciate any help as I know the model and channels must be absolutely correct before sequencing.

Thank you!

matrix.JPG

Yes, I see your problem.  The LOR protocol supports LOR controller IDs up to F0 (if I remember right) for a total of 240 Unit IDs per network.  You are exceeding that number.  The easiest solution is to split it onto multiple networks.  You would likely need to do to anyway due to channel count.  You are trying to drive almost 40,000 channels on a single network - WAY TOO MUCH!

I would break that up into AT LEAST four networks.  For example (assuming you are going to run 16 Pixie 16 controllers):

The first four Pixie16s:  Network AuxA - Unit IDs 01 - 40

The second four Pixie16s:  Network AuxB - Unit IDs 01 - 40

The third four Pixie16s:  Network AuxC - Unit IDs 01 - 40

The last four Pixie16s:  Network AuxD - Unit IDs 01 - 40

The rest of your show on the Regular network.

Note that under normal circumstances, I don't generally recommend using the same controller IDs on different networks.  It will work just fine, but it can be confusing for us human beings.

Remember that a Pixie 16 controller uses a separate controller Unit ID for each string.  When you configure the Pixie 16 controller, you set the first Unit ID and it uses that ID and then the next 15 additional IDs.  So using my example above, the first controller on each network would be configured as Unit ID 01, but would use IDs 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, and 10.  The second controller would be configured as Unit ID 11, and would use Unit IDs 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1F, and 20.

Make sense?

Thank you so much. I believe it will make sense after I’ve had some time to re-read your response a few times and process it. 😀

I will not be able to work on anything this weekend but hope to get back at it next week sometime. If I have additional questions regarding this when I do get back to it, would you mind if I contacted you directly? 

Thank you again!

5 hours ago, griswald said:

Thank you so much. I believe it will make sense after I’ve had some time to re-read your response a few times and process it. 😀

I will not be able to work on anything this weekend but hope to get back at it next week sometime. If I have additional questions regarding this when I do get back to it, would you mind if I contacted you directly? 

Thank you again!

If you need help setting up multiple networks feel free to ask. I have 14.

I would suggest the Black Web hub sold at Walmart. 7 Ports each. I have never had a problem with either of my hubs.

JR