Light-O-Rama Forums

Reverted back to 5.2.4

dougd

I loved many things in the newest version 5.3.2 but today I had to switch back to 5.2.4. Up until today I had just been opened existing sequences in the newest version and was checking out all the newest features.

Today i started working on a new sequence and right off the bat I noticed a few things. It took much longer to import in my grid view. On 5.2.4 it takes 60 seconds and on 5.3.2 it took 120 seconds. Twice as long really no big deal but it was noticeable. When the blank sequence is saved at this point, with 5.2.4 it is a 30 meg file, with 5.3.2 it is 114 meg, again no big deal but was worth noting. I would not have switched back for these reasons.

I have purchased quite a few xlight sequences and have developed a way to bring them into S5. It is done via exporting S5 clipboards out of xlights and importing them into S5. The clipboards are quite large, anywhere from 2 gig to 5 gig. They have all imported into 5.2.4 successfully. Might take a few minutes to import in but they all have worked. Today I was working on one of these sequences and exported a 2.3 gig clipboard out of xlights. In the scheme of things this was a relatively small clipboard.  Everytime  I tried to import it into 5.3.2 I got an out of memory error. Tried several times with no success. On another computer I reverted back to 5.2.4 in imported in that same clipboard just fine.

I know this workflow if probably unique to me but thought I would pass along my findings.

Thanks for the feedback. We will look at memory requirements in a future release.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Installed 5.3.4 hoping there were some memory issues resolved, sadly they are the same. I sequence the old fashioned way. Little or no motion effects for me. Several of these sequences go back many years and just updated each year. I have quite a few sequences that were created using version 5.2.4 which will open in 5.2.4 which will not open in 5.3.4. They give a memory error. I can no longer open a 2 gig sequence which was no problem before.  Is it possible the newest exe files were not 4 gig patched. I believe that was going on for a while. 

On 7/30/2019 at 1:42 PM, dougd said:

Installed 5.3.4 hoping there were some memory issues resolved, sadly they are the same. I sequence the old fashioned way. Little or no motion effects for me. Several of these sequences go back many years and just updated each year. I have quite a few sequences that were created using version 5.2.4 which will open in 5.2.4 which will not open in 5.3.4. They give a memory error. I can no longer open a 2 gig sequence which was no problem before.  Is it possible the newest exe files were not 4 gig patched. I believe that was going on for a while. 

The memory issue is related to allowing RGB channels to be viewed at the red/green/blue component level. Tracking 4 channels instead of one takes 4 times as much memory (if the entire sequence is RGB channels, as it is in your case).

We will add a preference in the next version which will allow you to choose whether RGB channels are broken down into red/green/blue or not. Turning that preference off should solve your issue.

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

YAY!!!

Back on a current version 5.3.6 and all my sequences open again.

Now I get to check out some of these newer features.

Great job guys.