Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Tree Sequence

BobW

I just made this same post on the LOR Sequence Sharing Facebook page. I don't think making the request here constitutes double posting, since it's a different venue(?).

I am just getting into sequencing with a LOR Pixel Tree. I would like to find a sequence specifically done for the Pixel Tree and its 8 channels that I can use as an example while I pick my way through the learning curve. However, as I scroll through all the uploaded files I have no idea the devices, props and channels contained. I would greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

BobW

What kind of Pixel Tree 12 channel by 50 16 channel by 50 or 8 folded in half to by 16 by 25 I have 16 by 50 in most of my post  look for my i post that pixel tree incluted

It's the Pixel Tree from LOR. 8 x 50 strings folded to make 16 x 25 strips for the tree. I'm thinking I may be able to connect 2 strings together with 3 folds so that it will only use 4 channels. Then I may be able to use 1 of the other channels for a tree topper. "IF" I manage to get it working, I can try to figure out how to put the other 3 channels to use.

BobW

Think differently 😛  K6CCC puts his controller at the top. The advantages are:

Keeps the feed (to 1st PX's) short.  (short runs are really important if you use 5V vs 12V)

Puts the end of the folded string (I believe he does NOT fold) up there also.

Puts the string End OR controller next to the topper. (for a Daisy chain)

Nothing says the star has to be on its own PORT (smart controllers have ports, the node is the channel. took me a bit to wrap my head about that)

Since 100 nodes per port requires more care: avoid :) , when you can. You now have 8 string ends right up there by the topper. Graft a dozen or so Topper nodes onto the ends of each of those tree strands. (nodes 51-6x are part of the star, not the tree)  Remember it is all done with Programming Mirrors. No one knows that 'Star' is really made up from the tails of those 8 (16 verticals). You can just move the nodes (on the ends) to a different track in the editor to make programming the topper simpler . The only real thing to watch out for is visual side effects due to voltage drop when a string (tail) gets long is visually near a one that is lots shorter. How you layout their use will minimize that .

Yes, my pixel controller is at the top of the tree - always has been since I built my original version of my pixel tree in 2012.  The wiring from the controller to the top of the strings or the star strings is less than three feet.  I am not using folds, so the end of the strings is at the bottom of the tree.  Part of the original reason I did it this way is that this is southern California.  That means the lawn sprinklers run year round.  Putting the controller at the bottom means that I have to protect against water going up (sprinklers) as well as water going down (rain).  With the controller at the top, I only have to worry about rain.  It also makes the wiring to the star short.  For the first six years, the tree was 12 x 50 and either 360 or 270 pixels for the star.  I used 12 outputs from a SanDevices E682 controller for the tree and either three or four outputs for the star.  In 2018, the tree was rebuilt as 24 x 100 with 270 pixels for the star.  Again, each string of the tree is an output from now two SanDevices E682 controllers and the star uses three outputs.

BTW, please don't refer to an output from a pixel controller as a "channel".  It's an output or port that will have many channels on it (potentially many hundreds of channels).  Calling it a channel will cause confusion.

Sorry about the channels  ports. Noobie mistake. Putting the controller up top was smart fix for the sprinkler problem. Simple, but elegant. For me, at this time, since I'm only just starting out, it won't work. With my 8x50 folded to 16x25, there isn't enough pixel spacing to put the fold at the bottom. It's for this same reason that my plan to connect 2 strings to make it 100 and fold 3 it times  for 4x25 won't work. Sprinklers are a year-round problem here in Florida too.

BobW

An interesting topic, being new to this whole pixels thing, it made me think.   I also have one of the 16X25 pixel trees and felt it was a little sparse.   I would like to add more to it and was thinking I would need 8 50 sets to match the ones I have.  But in reading this, I see that I can add 1 25 set to the make 3 folds.  Thus, I really need just 4 sets to make 8 additional 25 pixel runs.   But then I am puzzled as to how to do this since the sets come in 50.  Do you cut and splice in new ends?   

Also, I could see maybe using 6 sets of 50 and using 2 of the 25 pixel string to do something like a star at the top, but again I am not sure how you set these up to be controlled separately.    Reading the comment, its just a matter of configuration it seems so I guess if I tell LOR that there are 75 in the string for the tree, I can then create another prop that uses 76-100?

One more note on having the controller at the top.  It puts a lot of weight at the top of the tree.  That can be an issue both for stability after the tree is set up, but also can make it harder to get it into position.  For my tree, the frame is Unistrut (steel).  When I set the tree up, the strings and power supply box are not attached.  I designed it to make it very easy to add both the strings and power supplies after the tree is set up and remove them prior to taking the tree down.  If I really wanted to, I could also take off the controller box.  The tree is exactly vertical so all the weight is on the Unistrut A-Frame legs.  There is another piece of Unistrut that you can't see in this photo from 2/3 up the tree to the house behind it that keeps the tree vertical.  For 2019, I will change that a little and there will be two pieces of Unistrut to keep the tree vertical.  That is primarily to make it easier to work in the controller box (the one struc got in the way of setting up the ladder.  BTW,  the tree is vertical so that I can set up a set ladder on either front or back and work on the tree safely.

Here is a photo of my tree as setup and running for 2018.  You can't see the controller box because it's mostly behind the star.  The power supplies box can be seen about 2/3 up the tree.

Front_of_House_2018-12-03.jpg

1 hour ago, TexasLights said:

But then I am puzzled as to how to do this since the sets come in 50.  Do you cut and splice in new ends?   

It voids warrantees, but pixels are very easy to cut and solder to make any length you want.

1 hour ago, TexasLights said:

Also, I could see maybe using 6 sets of 50 and using 2 of the 25 pixel string to do something like a star at the top, but again I am not sure how you set these up to be controlled separately.    Reading the comment, its just a matter of configuration it seems so I guess if I tell LOR that there are 75 in the string for the tree, I can then create another prop that uses 76-100?

Yes.  Your profile says you are running S5, so it's just a matter of setting up the channels in the Preview.  You can scatter channels around all you want.

If you want I can send you a preview prop of my pixel tree so you can get an idea how to do it.  Just send me an E-Mail address.

yes, that was remarkably easier than I expected.   For a test, I just defined the tree as having 40 lights on a string and then mapped the 10 remaining to a new prop and that was it...  Pretty cool.   I can see how this can get addicting.

My pixel tree is 16 X 50 and controller resides at the bottom of the tree as I also have a large pixel star on top. Keeps weight off the tree. 

Folds are at the top of the tree.

Make sure and use screw anchors for all 16 strips and 3 support wires!

Using a Boscoyo tree kit.

There have been some interesting responses here, but going back to the original post, I am still looking for a sequence for a LOR Pixel Tree kit that consists of a Pixie8 controller and 8x50 strings folded to make a 16x25 tree prop.

Thanks,

BobW

• The topic was locked