Light-O-Rama Forums

Upgrade to pro?

Sharpsburg Lights

If you upgrade to pro do you get the updates for free for life or do you have to pay the upgrade cost on every major update.

If you were to upgrade to a Pro license level, and LOR came out with a license level higher than "Pro" you would have to pay to upgrade to that version. Everyone who ran Advanced that wanted to move to Pro had to pay the upgrade fee there as well.

Remember: Your license doesn't expire, in the sense that your software would stop working. The only problem you'd have with an expired license would be moving to a higher version of the software.

What Kim asking is if I bought pro on version 5.2.1 and next year they upgrade to 6.0 version.  Can I automatically upgrade my software or do I have to pay the upgrade fee with the pro license.

Upgrading to a different version is 100% independent of whatever license level you have.

Go check your current license. It will tell you how long your license is valid for, and up to what version of the software it's valid for. You could have the "Super duper ultra mega" license level, but would still have to pay to upgrade (edit: upgrade versions) once your license has reached it's limit.

License Level controls the main features (background sequences, native DMX pixel editor of motion effects) while the version has bug fixes, and other feature upgrades that fall into the "main" features of the software.

Edited by Don

4 minutes ago, Sharpsburg Lights said:

What Kim asking is if I bought pro on version 5.2.1 and next year they upgrade to 6.0 version.  Can I automatically upgrade my software or do I have to pay the upgrade fee with the pro license.

Don beat me to it.  But do what he says to check your license for the latest version it is good for. 

However, upgrading from any lower version to the newer higher version would require an upgrade fee, even if your license would cover up to v.6.0.1 for example, if you had v.6.0.0 at Advanced and wanted to move to Pro v. 6.0.1, your license covers that version, but only for the level you currently have, upgrades to higher levels always have an upgrade fee. 

But if you already had v.6.0.0 Pro and upgraded to v.6.0.1 Pro,  and your license covered up to v.6.0.1 and a newer version, v.6.0.2 came out, you'd need to pay a license upgrade fee, as your license ended at v.6.0.1.   It's just how it works.  Hope that wasn't too confusing an explanation.

Thank you both.  That answered my question and  hopefully anyone else that may wonder the same thing.

1 minute ago, Orville said:

Don beat me to it.  But do what he says to check your license for the latest version it is good for. 

However, upgrading from any lower version to the newer higher version would require an upgrade fee, even if your license would cover up to v.6.0.1 for example, if you had v.6.0.0 at Advanced and wanted to move to Pro v. 6.0.1, your license covers that version, but only for the level you currently have, upgrades to higher levels always have an upgrade fee. 

But if you already had v.6.0.0 Pro and upgraded to v.6.0.1 Pro,  and your license covered up to v.6.0.1 and a newer version, v.6.0.2 came out, you'd need to pay a license upgrade fee, as your license ended at v.6.0.1.   It's just how it works.  Hope that wasn't too confusing an explanation.

Words mean things.

Version = 4.x, 5.x, 6.x etc.
License Level = Standard, Advanced, Pro

Then to correct what you wrote:
--> However, upgrading from any lower license level to the newer higher license level would require an upgrade fee, even if your license would cover up to version v.6.0.1.
and
--> you'd need to renew your license, as your license covered up to version v.6.0.1