Light-O-Rama Forums

When to set up for Halloween

crazytrain83

This is our first year w/ LOR.

Me and the wife were debating when to start Halloweening our yard. It looks like we're going to start late September, and try to go live on October 1.

I'm wondering when everyone else sets up?

I probably won't set mine up until the first full week of October. I usually only have the display on for about two weeks in October. I usually only go one day into November too, and then that's it. I like to use the time after to prepare the leaves. I rake and get all that fall stuff done. Then the week before Thanksgiving I start with Christmas.

I'm using the rare dry spell we're having to get the lights up on the roofs and tree's. Tested them all last nite.

Going live oct 1, I have a lot to do. 30 some tombstones to get epitaths on is my next big job. Figure when it starts raining again will be perfect time for that.

Halloween is my big show, I'm afraid I can't top it for xmas but gonna throw down something cool I hope. Just begun with xmas sequencing, my brains about fried after a 2 hour halloween show just completed...ugh!

20 days to go, back to work!

I only set-up for Halloween night. We design an interactive haunt in the yard. Then enclose most of it in tents. this way it's a surprise every year. Last year was a light year, only gave out 40lb of candy. Hope to improve this year.(I have a few new tricks )

This is our first year with LOR and we are ambitious- doing both Halloween and Christmas. We (my wife and I) plan to put the Halloween display up on the first weekend in October. Nothing to complicated- some tombstones, jack-o-lanterns, spider web, a ghoul, bat, and ghost.

I ordered a package of halloween sequences from Wow Lights to save some time. For learning purposes I have been sequencing Ghostbusters. I also plan to make a spooky/scary sequence using a Halloween sound effects CD and add in some electrical sounds, screams, heartbeat etc.

We are building coro tombstones and pumpkins which use LED light strings. Tombstones are nearly done, pumpkins are cut and ready to punch holes in.

We will also make a coro ghost and bat.

Planning on 32 channels for Halloween. I built and tested an EDM FM transmitter so it is ready to go. I have a couple of low cost outdoor speakers that I will also use. I mounted a weather proof box on the side of the house with a RJ45 and two pairs of binding posts to connect to the LOR and speakers. The box has a hinged cover with an opening at the bottom for the wires to exit.

Howard