Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling Inflatables

Donl1150

I want to have an inflatable in my show.  It would come on at the start of the show after a brief narrative introduction and then deflate at the end of the show.  It would stay on the entire duration of the show.  I am not sure where/how to make this happen.  In the Show Editor, do I put it in the Background, Startup or Animation section?  I have never used those sections before.

LOR controllers are not designed to run a motor.  You would need to hook up a relay to do this.

One option is to modify the inflatable so that the motor and lights are separate.   This way you can control the light in the inflatable without starting/stopping the motor.  When I use inflatables, I like to leave them on all the time because the look good in daylight.

A couple of options.  You could have a background sequence that turns runs in all the sequences to keep the inflatable channel on.   A startup and shut down sequence is also a possibility.  I have not used either, so I am not sure how they behave.

I run a 26' inflatable Christmas Tree and an 18' Santa which tower above my "Tune To" sign. The two inflatable have their own extension cord and stay on for the entire show, I just plug them in separately.

Edited by Mr. P

I have used my controllers to run inflatables for Christmas and Halloween. One change I make is in the Hardware Utility, change the channel function from LOR Standard to ON/OFF only. Been running this way for many years without an issue

8 minutes ago, jwblazek said:

I have used my controllers to run inflatables for Christmas and Halloween. One change I make is in the Hardware Utility, change the channel function from LOR Standard to ON/OFF only. Been running this way for many years without an issue

Remember to check the nameplate current on your inflatable. I would leave a goodly  safe margin and not exceed 4A continuous run because of the motor . Are the lights in these on a separate cord?

Valid point "TheDucks". For the heck of it, however, went to check on the largest Halloween Inflatable I have and its motor nameplate is rated at .5A. I do separate the lights from the blower, however, as I sync the inflatable lights to the music

Very valid point "TheDucks". Mine used to have the lights on the same cord but I separated the lights from the motor so I could still sync the inflatable lights to the music

1 hour ago, jwblazek said:

Very valid point "TheDucks". Mine used to have the lights on the same cord but I separated the lights from the motor so I could still sync the inflatable lights to the music

That is a tinymotor, about the size of a small bathroom fan. You are good. +1 for independent lights.

I see inflatables I like, but they tend to be the target of slashers in my neighborhood, they haven't attacked blow molds or other decor, just kill off the inflatables.  So I don't use any.  I'd love to use some, but having to watch for the "slasher" that loves to do them in, and they've yet to be caught yet. 

So since I can't "fence them off to protect that investment", none will be found in my display.  And there are a lot of really cool ones I've seen out there too.   And I'd definitely be separating the motor from the lights if I ever do get to add any to my display.

Not sure if you can run a background sequence with the Basic Plus license level?

We have several inflatables and other items that are either just on or have the same sequence during our entire show. We just set those channels all the same in every sequence, copy and paste... Also like stated above set those channels to on/off only in the hardware utility so you don't accidentally ramp/twinkle/shimmer a motor or relay. 

To help protect the LOR controllers I use a couple of relays to isolate the motors. Like these: AC to AC solid state relay

3 hours ago, rcktpwrd said:

Not sure if you can run a background sequence with the Basic Plus license level?

We have several inflatables and other items that are either just on or have the same sequence during our entire show. We just set those channels all the same in every sequence, copy and paste... Also like stated above set those channels to on/off only in the hardware utility so you don't accidentally ramp/twinkle/shimmer a motor or relay. 

To help protect the LOR controllers I use a couple of relays to isolate the motors. Like these: AC to AC solid state relay

Nope, using Background, Startup or Shutdown sequences requires a Standard License at minimum!

• 2 weeks later...

I only have one inflatable. It is a 12' Santa that I have connected to one channel. It draws about 1A. I have him inflated all the time until the show starts, then he is off until the show is completed later in the night.

I control between 1 and 30 inflatables depending on season and sequence. Been controlling them well before joining LOR.

I actually do skits with my inflatables where they will pop up for their particular song.

This past Christmas I did not use inflatables due to flooding.

Last Christmas I did a Snoopy Red Baron [Foul Language Used] with simulated machine gun fire and all , everyone loved it.

I will add some videos in a bit.

JR

7 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Never knew...   another side to  JR!

I actually love the inflatable. Pretty big hit. My snoopy stuff was hiding behind my singing faces and I built a wooden stand for my scoopy plane. Used my old arch segments for the machine gun fire and fishline to hang the segments and take them around the faces and towards the audience. Just have to add the time it takes to inflate them to the end of the prior sequence. 

The city wanted me to bring it back this year but the rains flooded the front yard. Next year I will bring it back and I have added a red baron plane to the arsenol/

Out of vimeo upload, not sure how that works. Sup to be weekly,

JR

Edited by dibblejr

16 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Never knew...   another side to  JR!

I had enough upload left for this will add more when available

I don’t know why it’s all sideways it’s not like that in my phone.

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked