Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence Lagging

DCHMRT

Hi all! Need some help with my show

i am experiencing some major lag in my shows. To the untrained eye I’m sure it’s not that bad for most of the songs but it’s driving me nuts! One song my matrix plays fine with SE but during the actual show takes 10 seconds to “catch” up.

I am running S4 and have separated everything out to different networks in an attempt to rid the Lag. My show is all RGB running a combination of Pixcon 16 and pixie 16. In the Network Config, I put everything to 500k with enhanced networks minus my CCP tree which is made up of original LOR CCP

Anything I can do to fix it? 

Thanks! 

I'm not an expert yet, but curious...if you are 500k then you have an enhanced adapter connected to your usb port not the 485 standard adapter?  sorry if this sounds dumb.

There is no difference in adapters for Enhanced vs non-Enhanced.  The Black adapters are only guaranteed to work up to 115K speed and the Red adapters can operate up to at least 1000K speed.

DCHMRT, can you give a little more detail on your networking - specifically how many pixels (or channels) are on each network, and the speeds.

You imply that you running your CCPs at a slower speed because they are original CCPs.  FYI, I bought my CCPs on the first day that they were available and run them on a 500K Enhanced network just fine.  I did have to update firmware in order to support Enhanced networking when I started using that when S4 came out.

Are you using Intensity files for your sequences?

The other thing to look at is your show computer.  Bring up the Windows Task Manager while the show is running.  What is the CPU loading?  I ran into that problem in 2015 on my old and slow show computer.  CPU loading was maxed out.  Changed my sequences to use Intensity files (I Sequence in SuperStar), and CPU loading dropped to less that 20%.

K6ccc-

I never updated the CCPs mainly because I have them daisy chained together and to lazy to unscrew all 6 screws in each to update them. 

As far as separate networks I have 8 ccps on 2 separate networks ( 4 each), a pixcon 16 running E1.31 controlling 6 channels ( 4- 50 smart RBG, 1- 100 smart RGB, 1- 150 smart RGB), Pixie16 controlling 12 CCRs. 

My show computer when running the show only gets up to 20% so I don’t think that’s it. 

I don’t use intensity files as I am not sure if there is an easy way to bring the sequences out SE and into SS. Am I missing something? 

7 hours ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

I'm not an expert yet, but curious...if you are 500k then you have an enhanced adapter connected to your usb port not the 485 standard adapter?  sorry if this sounds dumb.

That’s correct. I am using the red high speed usb adaptors for all my networks 

If it was mean I would start with the firmware updates.

Lazy or not you won’t know until you exhaust everything or you will just have to live with the lag.

The pixies16’s do not perform well without enhanced networks and other controllers if connected to the enhanced network may not work well or at all.

JR

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

If it was mean I would start with the firmware updates.

Lazy or not you won’t know until you exhaust everything or you will just have to live with the lag.

The pixies16’s do not perform well without enhanced networks and other controllers if connected to the enhanced network may not work well or at all.

JR

So updating the CCPs will effect the rest of the display that’s on separate networks? 

Just now, DCHMRT said:

So updating the CCPs will effect the rest of the display that’s on separate networks? 

It shouldn’t . Key word “shouldn’t”. You are only updating firmware not making physical changes, yet.

I imagine the HD may provide you with the same advice about updating.

JR

I recall that I updated firmware on my CCPs with all three on the network - not 100% as it was years ago.

So.... had a power outage and didn’t think much of it because I have my show computer hooked up to a UPS. 

Went to go try and upgrade the firmware on the CCPs and the HU couldn’t find any of the units. Strange but I tried everything and it would find the comm port but not the units.... long story short I ran a show on demand to make sure nothing was screwed up and 90% of the lag is gone! Not sure what happened but I’m not going to mess with success! There still is some lag but much better and to the untrained eye probably not noticeable... 

i guess i will just ride ride this out and January 1st start working on migrating everything over to S5

• The topic was locked