Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel programming issue

Nowerman2005

ok so one of my props(my gutter line) is 1 long string with a total of 255 nodes

my problem is not power and data as i have the proper power injection and data booster in place

my problem is that DMX only allows for 512 channels max

how do i program this in the s5 preview. because at the moment when i tell it that the gutter line will be on universe 20 it tell me start ch 1 and end channel 512 and then says carry over 253

what does that mean? does it automatically carry over to the next universe? 

this is the only prop that i have a problem with because the pixel count is so high

thanks in advance

It means that your prop required more than one universe.  Now the bigger question.  How are you driving these?  If it's only a single physical data line that is RS-485 data (native DMX), it won't work.  The DMX standard only allows 32 devices on a single network, and as you found out, only 512 addresses.  Most likely this NOT what you are dong.

Assuming that this is going to be sent from an E1.31 controller, than it may depend on your controller and it's capabilities.  Some controllers will automatically split an output between two universes and some won't.  Also note that some E1.31 controllers won't split a single pixel between universes.  If that's the case, you would tell the Prop Definition that the max channel is 510, not 512.

For example, this is my pixel tree.  I am using a pair of SanDevices E682 controllers with this.  The SanDevices controllers will happily have a single output split between multiple universes, and uses a max of 510 channels per universe (does not split a single pixel between universes.

S5_Prop_Def-4.png

Gee, that's twice I got to use that screen capture within an hour...

4 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Gee, that's twice I got to use that screen capture within an hour...

You probably have an entire library of screen shots saved in a folder on your computer just itching to use them.  🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

You probably have an entire library of screen shots saved in a folder on your computer just itching to use them.  🤣🤣🤣

OK, I just looked.  The Images folder on my web server (where these get uploaded) currently has 172 image files and two sub folders that between them contain 27 more images.  Almost all the images are screen captures, that were mostly to answer a specific question here on the forum.  The Photos folder has 153 photos.  I will be adding a bunch more soon because of all the changes I am making on my props this year.

So, yes I do...

• Like 1

Just now, k6ccc said:

OK, I just looked.  The Images folder on my web server (where these get uploaded) currently has 172 image files and two sub folders that between them contain 27 more images.  Almost all the images are screen captures, that were mostly to answer a specific question here on the forum.  The Photos folder has 153 photos.  I will be adding a bunch more soon because of all the changes I am making on my props this year.

So, yes I do...

I knew it.  😁

• The topic was locked