Light-O-Rama Forums

Simple pixel tree control without computer

coolgyda2nd

Hello, I need a pixel tree to turn on and off each day and to only be one color. But I am not wanting to have to buy a computer for this. Does anyone have any ideas how this can be done?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, coolgyda2nd said:

Hello, I need a pixel tree to turn on and off each day and to only be one color. But I am not wanting to have to buy a computer for this. Does anyone have any ideas how this can be done?

Thanks!

If you need a pixel tree to just turn on and off then you can use a Pixie 16 in stand alone mode. This does not need a computer or director to run it as you install the sequence in the controller and tell it to run sequence when powered on.

If you really want to save money since you only want one color then just make a tree with led lights and install a flasher.

I understand. The only issue is that I already have a Alphapix 4 that I was planning to use because it was left over from another project. Do you know if that would be possible?

1 hour ago, coolgyda2nd said:

I understand. The only issue is that I already have a Alphapix 4 that I was planning to use because it was left over from another project. Do you know if that would be possible?

If you are going to use an Alphapix then it has to be used on a E1.31 netwetwork and you must use a computer.

33 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

If you are going to use an Alphapix then it has to be used on a E1.31 netwetwork 

Is that some new kind of outdoor network, as opposed to a netdrywork......😃

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Is that some new kind of outdoor network, as opposed to a netdrywork......😃

🤣 My fingers do some crazy things on a computer  🤣

It has been raining so stinking much here maybe that is what I was thinking. 🤣

Same here, must be one of the wettest, coldest, setups  in quite a few years. Finally looks like we might get a break for the next week or so. 

Wow, bone dry here and a 100,000+ acre brush fire about 25 miles west of me as I type this.  Sure could use some rain, but not for the next week so I can finish setup...

Now back to the original question, to generate E1.31 data to drive the AlphaPix controller, you are going to need some sort of a computer.  Remember that for a very basic show, a really bottom end computer would work just fine.  Without too much effort you could likely find someone's give away computer or if needed purchase one at a very low price.  That would allow you to stay with LOR software. 

The other option would be to drive the AlphaPix from Falcon Player running on a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone.  I know those can drive E1.31 devices.  Can't run LOR sequences directly however so that would mean learning a bunch of new stuff (both hardware and software).

On 11/16/2018 at 4:05 PM, k6ccc said:

Wow, bone dry here and a 100,000+ acre brush fire about 25 miles west of me as I type this.  Sure could use some rain, but not for the next week so I can finish setup...

Now back to the original question, to generate E1.31 data to drive the AlphaPix controller, you are going to need some sort of a computer.  Remember that for a very basic show, a really bottom end computer would work just fine.  Without too much effort you could likely find someone's give away computer or if needed purchase one at a very low price.  That would allow you to stay with LOR software. 

The other option would be to drive the AlphaPix from Falcon Player running on a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone.  I know those can drive E1.31 devices.  Can't run LOR sequences directly however so that would mean learning a bunch of new stuff (both hardware and software).

If he kept it simple on the effects it would take no time to setup xLights and import something basic from LOR, upload to Pi and call it good.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gc75067 said:

a little late, but on the AlphaPix you can put it into test mode and not use a computer. 

hold down the menu button (M)  it will go into test mode then use + or - to scroll thru effects

10 minutes ago, caniac said:

hold down the menu button (M)  it will go into test mode then use + or - to scroll thru effects

agree. maybe that will help the OP pick a color and leave it. would have to reset to the color they want each time they power it off though.