Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 Intensity Control of SubGroups in Motion Effects

pdusaitis

In S5 I have a preview group for all of my RGB pixel devices spread out across the width of my entire house.  That group is made up of subgroups and channels.  My lights are made up of pixels strips, pixel nodes, pixel bulbs, floods, and cosmic color devices.  When I apply a motion effect for the preview group how can I adjust the intensity levels in a subgroup.  For example if I want my pixel bulbs full red, but my strips at 20% I cannot figure out how to do that.  Applying the motion effect to the subgroups with a lower intensity changes intensity but then changes the scaling of the effect and does not create the same original look.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.   I prefer not to cap the intensities in my hardware controllers because there are times I want to retain the full intensity of channels for short pops, twinkles, and flashes, etc.

No way to do that in S5. You can only reduce intensity for a prop for the entire song - by setting a dimming curve in Prop Definition.

However, I have put it on our list of requests for future consideration.

Matt

OK.  Thank you for responding.  Is it possible to load a prop definition by song or would I have to make a preview that caps the intensity as a workaround?  

Matt, do you have any additional information regarding dimming curves in S5?

I have a Pixie4 and was told by LOR Help Desk there is no way to limit maximium intensity on the device.

I simply want to reduce the maximum intensity for the entire sequence for the 3 props I have connected to the Pixie4.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

hi  all Im  really struggling with  understanding intensity brightness

can pix  Pixie16 Smart Pixel Controller  be controlled re brightness

and or Pixiecon16 Smart Pixel Controller

if so   please how do I achieve this My Neighbors are already cranky with my testing  thanks Sandra Oz

On 10/23/2020 at 11:30 AM, yundy1 said:

hi  all Im  really struggling with  understanding intensity brightness

can pix  Pixie16 Smart Pixel Controller  be controlled re brightness

and or Pixiecon16 Smart Pixel Controller

if so   please how do I achieve this My Neighbors are already cranky with my testing  thanks Sandra Oz

You can control the brightness of your pixels on a per prop basis right from sequencer. I suggest running a sequence where you do 20 seconds of 100%,80%,40%,20%,10%,5% and 1% on each prop where you can stand outside and decide which brightness best suits your props then you can change the brightness levels in your sequences according to your preferences. 

Hope this helps

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 8:23 AM, c7williams said:

You can control the brightness of your pixels on a per prop basis right from sequencer. I suggest running a sequence where you do 20 seconds of 100%,80%,40%,20%,10%,5% and 1% on each prop where you can stand outside and decide which brightness best suits your props then you can change the brightness levels in your sequences according to your preferences. 

Hope this helps

Thank you that worked though S5 only allows a starting point of 30%  I do appreciate your assistance  Sandra

I guess I am confused.  I am also attempting to reduce the intensity of my pixels.  I am using a PixCon16.  In the comment above, are you saying in a single sequence file I can alter the intensity of a prop multiple times, or is each setting in a separate sequence file?  I attempted to set four different animation files at 100, 80, 60 and 40% but it does not look like they ever changed.  For each I selected the corresponding Pixel Curve in the prop definition.

Edited by hasslerk
added text

37 minutes ago, yundy1 said:

Thank you that worked though S5 only allows a starting point of 30%  I do appreciate your assistance  Sandra

Incorrect, You can set the intensity as low as 1% if you'd like to. 

1 minute ago, hasslerk said:

I guess I am confused.  I am also attempting to reduce the intensity of my pixels.  I am using a PixCon16.  In the comment above, are you saying in a single sequence file I can alter the intensity of a prop multiple times, or is each setting in a separate sequence file?  I attempted to set four different animation files at 100, 80, 60 and 40% but it does not look like they ever changed.  For each I selected the corresponding Pixel Curve in the prop definition.

You are not going to see a very dramatic change with numbers like you mentioned! Pixels are very bright. To achieve a 50% brightness level I would recommend setting the brightness to about 30%. 25% brightness is more like 10-15%. If you set your pixels to low numbers such as 1% and 2% you will still be able to see them quite clear.

You can reduce these intensities directly from the S5 sequencer, you can reduce them by cell, effect or entire row. You can use the button in the toolbar or you can highlight the region you want to be adjusted and right click, existing effects and another menu will open giving you a few different options to scale the brightness on the selected region.  Generally I believe most users run their pixels around 40-60% intensity setting. 

To determine an intensity you like I would recommend creating a sequence with 10 seconds of 100%, 80%, 60%,40%,30%,20%,10%,5& and 1%. This will give you an accurate test as to what level of brightness suits your props and your displays the best!

Hopefully this answers your question

• Like 1

Ok, I was not thinking I could simply use the Intensity tool on pixels; I thought I had to set it in the prop definition.  Using the intensity tool, and as you mentioned in your responses, I just set a short animation of 100, 80, 60, 40 and 20 and observed what you meant by the 50% or less.  For my setup I am going to go with 30, as 40 is still too bright and 20 is too dark (for my liking).  Thanks for quick response!

c7williams Thank you Again

okay I see I need to use a different Button

I was setting from prop

Which bottoms at  30% 

Thank Your Assistance Much appreciated  so much stress gone 🙃Sandra