Light-O-Rama Forums

Lost 23 hours. Need spares

ItsMeBobO

There has been a thread about having spare parts in case of failures.     Well I got hit with a spare time failure.    Water dripping into basement bedroom from shower above it.    Could not wait for Monday and don't want to pay weekend plumber rates.    The house is miserable when the water is shut off and had to focus all time on this.     Broke the cartridge using cartridge puller and had to cut into the wall tile to replace the valve.   I truly hate the worry of leaks from sweating pipes as I have had fails in the past but this time they are holding.        

No lights work was done Saturday but I got one hour back from DLS.      There is still tile and grout repair work which is not urgent now that the water is turned back on. 

FaucetCutout.jpgFaucetFixed.jpg

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

.....No lights work was done Saturday but I got one hour back from DLS.....   

Sucks when life keeps getting in the way. Glad you got it fixed. 

You might have got off lucky. For me, this kinda stuff involves a complete room remodel, complete with new paint, drapes, carpet, electrical, etc............... 🤑

Alan....

• Like 1

Glad you were able to fix it.  I have a bathroom faucet that is dripping a little.  It’s one of those sealed units so the only repair is to replace it.  Told my wife that I will replace it, but not until the light show is fully set up.  So, about a month from now...

i have never had a leak inside a wall, but I’m getting worried about that.  This Developement is almost 60 years old with steel pipe.  My wonderful neighbor across the street had a pipe fail in a wall a couple months ago that cost her plenty to fix.  I want to do a complete re-pipe, but don’t really have the money.  The main from the street got replaced with copper about 8 years ago as part of a landscape project (it had to be moved).

I also lost yesterday as a Setup day, but it was planned - a friend had the audacity to schedule his wedding on my first setup day.

MY biggest PITA- my boys at the time 3&5 were in the garden tub. They managed to take the cover off one of the circulation vents. Sucked the wash cloth in. Stopped everything 3 years ago.

Wouldn't you know the contractor used a 1 piece garden tub. The only one that the mfg had to offer. The tiles are all around it.  I figured no big deal. Go to the man cave remove 1 or 2 sections of drop down ceiling and reach up and take pump out. Nope its in the ceiling of bathroom #3 which is sheetrock. 

The only way to get to it, cut either the wall in my closet or the wifes closet (dead center and build a platform to lay on and get to it. Problem is it will have to be a large enough hole for whoever crawls in it. Darn sure not gonna be me.

Gonna leave until we move. Hopefully summer of 2019 or 2020 when my son will start 4th grade

JR

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:45 AM, ItsMeBobO said:

There has been a thread about having spare parts in case of failures.     Well I got hit with a spare time failure.    Water dripping into basement bedroom from shower above it.    Could not wait for Monday and don't want to pay weekend plumber rates.    The house is miserable when the water is shut off and had to focus all time on this.     Broke the cartridge using cartridge puller and had to cut into the wall tile to replace the valve.   I truly hate the worry of leaks from sweating pipes as I have had fails in the past but this time they are holding.        

No lights work was done Saturday but I got one hour back from DLS.      There is still tile and grout repair work which is not urgent now that the water is turned back on. 

FaucetCutout.jpgFaucetFixed.jpg

Looking at your pictures and sweating you may not know this little trick to help since it looks like a lot of heat was applied.

Put a couple slices of bread in the pipes to be sweated. This will absorb any moisture allowing you to heat the pipe up and make the soldier flow without burning the wood. 

Once you get the sweating done turn the water on slowly. Once the pressure is built open the valve all the way. The bread will be washed away.

For you or anybody else.

My father n law was once a master welder and welded inside gas/ oil pipeline. He had a similar problem as yours but it was outside. He tried to fix it and about a year later was telling me about it and how the leak came back. Went to look at it, he had put so much heat the copper had weakened to the point that the weed eater popped a hole in it.

I replaced all of the pipe and showed him the bread trick, he couldn't believe it. My grandfather taught me that growing up on the farm.

JR

• The topic was locked