Light-O-Rama Forums

SPT1 wire and Vampire Plugs - Is this is good deal?

Speedster

I found a site called Environmental LED where I can get 500 ft of SPT1 wire, 50 male plugs, and 50 female plugs for a grand total of $150.94 which includes shipping costs of only $0.95.  Money is tight due to some medical bills so before I click "Check Out & Pay" I was wondering if there was a better deal elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, Speedster said:

I found a site called Environmental LED where I can get 500 ft of SPT1 wire, 50 male plugs, and 50 female plugs for a grand total of $150.94 which includes shipping costs of only $0.95.  Money is tight due to some medical bills so before I click "Check Out & Pay" I was wondering if there was a better deal elsewhere.

Its $156 at LOR + shipping for that. sounds close to a wash. I would giv LOR my custom for that little difference

If your going by sale prices we get after xmas I would think no, LOR sells plugs for around 50 cents a piece, and 500 ft of SPT-1 for around $50. So 50 for wire and 50 for plugs is 100 and probably around 20 shipping for a total of 120.

Timing around xmas it doesn't sound so bad. The is a fellow here selling 1000 ft of SPT for $135 shipped which is a better deal right now if you can get the plugs at a good deal somewhere, but without a sale your looking at .75 a piece minimum. Look in coffee shop for the wire.

Edited by Kapkirk
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Its $156 at LOR + shipping for that. sounds close to a wash. I would giv LOR my custom for that little difference

I'm getting that same subtotal, but adding UPS Ground shipping costs of $24.56 brings the total to $180.   My total on the other site would be about $151 which includes shipping.

Unfortunately I can't wait for the next LOR sale since I need the wire and plugs very soon.

Edited by Speedster

I can get you 1000' of green spt-1 wire for $135 shipped, if you only need 500' pm we can figure out something.  Sorry don't sell plugs though.  Some home depots are carrying them right now, and think they are on their website for about $16 for 25 plugs.

9 hours ago, Speedster said:

I used them the last 2:years in a pinch when I needed more wire. Good quality wire but that is a retail price for when it's not on sale. Normally they only charge $0.95 for shipping. But they are a legitimate company. 

as others have said there is someone selling wire on here I think it's in 250-foot rolls.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

I have found 500ft rolls on amazon for $80.  Usually get my vampire plugs from Novelty Lights.  They keep plenty of stock and a variety of colors (ok, only green, black, and brown).

I found this company they have 250 for only $27.00 that's the cheapest I have found SPT-1 wire.

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/18-2-spt-1-lamp-cord-300v-250-ft-spool.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImeT7u9W13gIVDNbACh309gd0EAAYASAAEgLyFvD_BwE 

For the Vampire plus that really depends on how many you want Christmas-led.com is also a good place that's where I get mine

How is the quality of the wire from these other places? Last year I bought the 500ft spool of SPT1 wire from LOR and being my first year ran out. Being desperate, I went to Home Depot and got a spool of their SPT1 lamp cord and it is MUCH stiffer and harder to work with. I really liked the green stuff from LOR. It was easy to coil up at the end of the season.

10 minutes ago, tlogan said:

How is the quality of the wire from these other places? Last year I bought the 500ft spool of SPT1 wire from LOR and being my first year ran out. Being desperate, I went to Home Depot and got a spool of their SPT1 lamp cord and it is MUCH stiffer and harder to work with. I really liked the green stuff from LOR. It was easy to coil up at the end of the season.

Was it hard to put the vampire plugs on the lamp cord from Home Depot?  I was thinking of using that in case I ran out of green SPT1 wire and needed something quick.  But if it's too hard to put the plugs on the lamp cord and can't even get a good solid "bite" I guess I won't even waste my time & money on it.

3 hours ago, Life With Lights said:

I found this company they have 250 for only $27.00 that's the cheapest I have found SPT-1 wire.

https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/18-2-spt-1-lamp-cord-300v-250-ft-spool.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImeT7u9W13gIVDNbACh309gd0EAAYASAAEgLyFvD_BwE 

For the Vampire plus that really depends on how many you want Christmas-led.com is also a good place that's where I get mine

That seems way too cheap compared with common sources that run 2x that for 250'  I understand LONGER (500 or 1K) rolls are less per foot. Copper clad? less stranding (stiffer)? The price difference being made up with S&H?

5 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Was it hard to put the vampire plugs on the lamp cord from Home Depot?  I was thinking of using that in case I ran out of green SPT1 wire and needed something quick.

Home depot will carry green  this year along with vampire plugs. I had no trouble last year with their wire or plugs.  I bought the wire and plugs after Christmas at 75% so it was a score for me.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/500-ft-18-Gauge-Bulk-Wire-450000SHO/301886091

Tom

6 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Was it hard to put the vampire plugs on the lamp cord from Home Depot?  I was thinking of using that in case I ran out of green SPT1 wire and needed something quick.  But if it's too hard to put the plugs on the lamp cord and can't even get a good solid "bite" I guess I won't even waste my time & money on it.

I just finished off my 250' roll of Southwire brand  SPT-1. No issues.

I use the LOR SPT-1 vampires  (do not try and use SPT-2 in these)  with this. I will be heading to the HD in the next town (our HD does not stock SPT1) to get another roll today.

Vampire Tips (funny, no one includes directions for proper use)

Easiest if insulation is at Room temp:

slit the wire end 1/4 in: Locate the spike on the wide prong: Orient the 'ribbed edge' with that spike (maintains Polarization). Jam the end firmly into the pocket, so the split ends bottoms on either side of the (separation) wedge at the bottom: Slide the cover on (I use the table edge to press against it without needing tools)

14 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

That seems way too cheap compared with common sources that run 2x that for 250'  I understand LONGER (500 or 1K) rolls are less per foot. Copper clad? less stranding (stiffer)? The price difference being made up with S&H?

I have order 1000 feet I used almost 750 for my Halloween display. I ordered 500 feet at a time my total with shipping was $78.20. I would split my wires ant the plug and solder in the wire so I would have to make as many drop cords. it is a better quality the what Lowes, Home Depot and some local electrical companies. I haven't had any problems with it even on nights it rain. before i bought any wire I search the web for a few weeks to find the lowest prices.

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Vampire Tips (funny, no one includes directions for proper use)

Here is one good video:

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 10:33 AM, TBS99 said:

Here is one good video:

That's a great video, but I noted the use of pliers to close the top.  I had an issue with that in the past.   When some connections didn't work, it was because as the top cover was being slid over the housing by use of pliers, it caused the wire to slide with it and bend the metal teeth to the point of not connecting well.    Thus, I think it is best to press the wire down as much as possible on the teeth before sliding on the top.  Now, I don't need pliers any more and the connections are more reliable.

• 3 months later...
On 11/2/2018 at 8:09 AM, Life With Lights said:

I placed an order for 1000' of 18/2 SPT. There was a 5% discount for first timers. Total w/$23.50 shipping $126.10.

• 1 month later...

Hows the quality of that wire? I am going to wait for the LOR summer sale, as I don't absolutely need it now, but that might be good for future reference when I can't wait.