Light-O-Rama Forums

What do I need?

HVACR

I have the "Advanced" licence. The information that I am reading the current licence I have will not do what I currently need. I am confused with the terms S4 and superstar. I want to program pixels. What do I need to upgrade to?

Thanks

HVACR

S4 is LORs software package, Superstar is a LOR add-on. You can program pixels with S4's SE but it is harder and much more tedious because of the large number of channels. Pixel Editor (PE) which comes with S4 but requires a Pro license also does pixels and can handle the larger volume of channels much easier then SE.

Superstar is an add-on program which handles pixels and large volumes of channels but as I stated you must purchase a SS license seperately from S4. SS is also sold by number of CCRs but a more accurate way is by number of channels needed.

Since you already have a S4 Advanced license I would recommend upgrading to a Pro license and see if that meets your needs first as a SS license can get pretty costly. Also, once upgraded to a Pro license you will never need to upgrade again just a renewal every now and then which is much cheaper.

Edited by Mr. P

Okay, here is about as detailed an answer with me typing on my @&$)/? phone...

S4 = Major release 4 of the LOR showtime software Suite.

S5 = Major release 5 of the LOR showtime software suite.  The numbers after the S5 or S4 represents the minor release versions.

SuperStar = an add on package that was written by Brian Bruderer year’s ago.  SuperStar was integrated into the LOR software suite in S3.  It requires an additional cost software license.  In S4, you could sequence all you want in SuperStar, but could not export to Sequence Editor without a SuperStar license.  In S5, you can still do that if you directly open SuperStar, but you can’t use the “Insert SuperStar Effects” in S5 Sequencer without a SuperStar license.

As for pixel sequencing, you CAN sequence pixels in Sequence Editor, but depending on what you are trying to accomplish, it could be an exercise in frustration.  S4 introduced Pixel Editor (which requires a Pro level license) as a separate program, but it was included with the software suite.  S5 more tightly integrated Pixel Editor into the S5 Sequencer.  To use the Pixel Editor functionality in S5 also requires a Pro level license.  The other option is SuperStar.  In S4, SuperStar like Pixel Editor is a separate program.  In S5, SuperStar is sort of integrated into the S5 Sequencer, but not as well as the Pixel Editor functionality.  Which you use depends on your preferences.  My opinion is that SuperStar is wonderful and worth every penny of what I spent for the license.  I’m not a big fan of Pixel Editor.  Note these are my opinion...

• The topic was locked