Light-O-Rama Forums

Dimming Curves question...

jamills706

I see where, in the S5 Preview, to apply a dimming curve. I need to lessen the brightness of my matrix which is made up of square flat pixels. I just got the hardware assembled and turned it on last night --- it is blindingly bright!!! I see various Dimming Curves available but can't seem to locate any description of what each does. I assume I want to use one of the Pixel curves for these...but do the various percentages mean that is the maximum brightness on the model or the percent by which it limits the brightness. In other words...is Pixel 60% running at 60% of full brightness or dimmed by 60% thus running at 40% brightness? I do not have permanent wiring to my display as yet so I can't test it today because it is raining...but would like to get my  head around the setting before I play with it when the rain stops. Also, I have other friends using other manufacturers hardware/software who say they run their entire display at 30% brightness --- these dimming curves seem to only go down to 50% (if they really mean those are the actual brightness output) - so if I find I need to dim below 50% can I create another dimming curve that is custom at a lesser percent?

Thanks in advance i anyone can clear this up for me.

"Pixel 60%" is running at 60% of full brightness -- correct.

if I find I need to dim below 50% can I create another dimming curve that is custom at a lesser percent? -- correct, some users may have already done this but I haven't seen any files posted in the forums. I will try to create 30% and 40% files today.

If you change the dimming curve setting in a prop definition, as with any change to the preview, you will need to re-save the playback files for every sequence that uses the preview.

A little more information on the dimming curves:

Matt

But can I create anything less than the 50% that is in there - like make my own custom 30% one? -- sure, you can create any curve file you want! 

I just thought I would create 30% and 40% because it has come up a few times now. We will distribute them with the next release.

Matt

• 2 months later...

My 2 cents.  I need this also. My display is choreographed to videos in two windows instead of music.  Converting all to RGB even at 50% overpowers the brightness of the windows.