Light-O-Rama Forums

Where do I find replacement male ends for mini light strings?

GriswoldStyle

I found a video online that tells me how to pop them apart so I found half the battle... to make a long story short last year when removing some Halloween lights from brand new spt-1 female ends some of the prongs broke off the male plugs when disconnecting the lights from the female plugs. I've been able to take apart the plugs and they technically slide out once you pop them loose. Where do I find the male end replacement plugs? does anybody know the search term? I have been looking but I'm only found vampire plugs I need the actual ends that normally come on the mini light sets. (Although all these are LED they look pretty much Universal size for m5's)  I just need the male ends so I can replace the part of the plastic plug that broke off with the prongs.

Edited by GriswoldStyle

Any decent hardware store, you want ones with screws. I say screws, because the reason you will have issues with vampire ones, is the wires must be held in the exact locations of SPT1, to get a good contact.

ALSO watch out if you plan on daisy chaining. many strings are NON-POLARIZED (both blades are narrow). You may need to file the wide one down

Warning: Male plugs on all strings contain fuses.  . these plugs are not  easy to come by (at least in nnon-vampire)

Edited by TheDucks

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Warning: Male plugs on all strings contain fuses.  . these plugs are not  easy to come by (at least in nnon-vampire)

Yep that's exactly what I am looking for is the fused ends. Even those the strand for only $7 each I can't find reason to throw them away just over a plug that should only cost a dollar or two. Lol

Might have to search some China sites for those male ends w/ fuses.

2 hours ago, GriswoldStyle said:

Yep that's exactly what I am looking for is the fused ends. Even those the strand for only $7 each I can't find reason to throw them away just over a plug that should only cost a dollar or two. Lol

Might have to search some China sites for those male ends w/ fuses.

China is probably the only place you will find a plug under $3.00 .  The fuses protect the wires from daisy chaned overload. If you are daisy chaining, just use it down stream of a fused string

1 hour ago, Mega Arch said:

I’ve purchased many of these for under a buck each - and they include spare fuses. These are 12-packs....

https://www.actionlighting.com/fused-male-vampire-zip-cord-plugs-green/

Those are Vampire for SPT.  The OP needs to replace the ones on the strings (separate wires with smaller insulation. Not easy to get placed correct (Hot glue spacing before installation?), and  not thick enough to get a firm bite.

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Those are Vampire for SPT.  The OP needs to replace the ones on the strings (separate wires with smaller insulation. Not easy to get placed correct (Hot glue spacing before installation?), and  not thick enough to get a firm bite.

Crimp on splice and some tape to add a 4” spt pigtale. Done.