Light-O-Rama Forums

Second Network

HLE

So had an issue last season and didn’t have the time to resolve it so starting early this year. I had gotten a 6 x 25 pixel tree last season and noticed that some of the pixels would light up with the sequences for other channels, even if I didn’t have anything programmed for the tree. I got a hold of LOR about setting up a second network and did everything they said to do, then the tree didn’t light at all when it was supposed to. Do I need to go into the editor and change all the tree’s sequences to a different network or what?  Slightly frustrating 

11 minutes ago, HLE said:

So had an issue last season and didn’t have the time to resolve it so starting early this year. I had gotten a 6 x 25 pixel tree last season and noticed that some of the pixels would light up with the sequences for other channels, even if I didn’t have anything programmed for the tree. I got a hold of LOR about setting up a second network and did everything they said to do, then the tree didn’t light at all when it was supposed to. Do I need to go into the editor and change all the tree’s sequences to a different network or what?  Slightly frustrating 

First problem, you had configuration problems.

New problem, once again configuration problems

Both either network, channels, controller all 3 or any of them

Please include the types of controllers you are using. Unless you have a plethora of controllers you should be gtg with 1 LOR network.

Don't change your sequences, change your settings. Shoot me a PM with a cell # and a time to call tomorrow. I am home all day just testing props.

JR

Each network is associated with a comm number. Using the Hardware utility, determine which comm number is being used by each network. Then (assuming you are using S4) go to the Sequence Editor and go into network preferences and set the comm number in each network.

There is a video tutorial on this. Go to the lightorama main page, click on Support, then click on "Tutorials and PDFs", the superstar tutorials are near the bottom. Look for "SuperStar Multiple Network Configuration"

The video is old and the interface has changed since then, but the principle is the same and the video will help.

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

First problem, you had configuration problems.

New problem, once again configuration problems

Both either network, channels, controller all 3 or any of them

Please include the types of controllers you are using. Unless you have a plethora of controllers you should be gtg with 1 LOR network.

Don't change your sequences, change your settings. Shoot me a PM with a cell # and a time to call tomorrow. I am home all day just testing props.

JR

I got 4 of the residential controllers, all of them are less than 2 years old, and the tree came with the Pixi8 controller. I haven’t gotten the tree out yet, we do a Halloween show then the first weekend of November is when we get the Christmas show props out and start setting up then 

With that little amount of controllers you really don't need two networks. As stated it sounds like you had a channel config issue or more of an ID issue as you probably had two or more controllers sharing the same ID. This would create the problem of lights flashing when they are not suppose to.

Agree with all replies above.  A 2nd unnecessary network will just complicate things down the road when you don't really need it.  Channel config of IDs was likely the issue.   I hope you ran the Ve (Verifier) program which will point out those discrepancies.

Although not likely an issue based on your controllers, there can be a reason besides controller / channel count to use multiple networks.  There are situations where you have devices that are not compatible with certain types of speeds of networks.  Based on your controllers, this is likely not an issue because your controllers are all fairly new.  But even in that case, there may be a need to run multiple networks.  Here are a couple in no particular order (not necessarily related to your situation) :

- You have a Pixcon16 (which requires an enhanced network), and older controllers that don't support enhanced networking).

- You are using Intensity files from Pixel Editor or SuperStar (which requires an enhanced network), and older controllers that don't support enhanced networking).

- You are using Enhanced networking (for whatever reason), and need to be able to read inputs from a controller (which does not work on enhanced networks).

- You are using a Pixcon 16 (which requires at least 500K speed), and you are using ELLs (which don't support 500K speed).

- You are using Enhanced networking (for whatever reason), and need to use ELLs (which don't support Enhanced networking).

- You are using 500K speed, but have a ServoDog controller (which does not support 500K speed - or Enhanced networking).

- You have a DMX device, and also have one of many devices that don't support DMX (Pixie and Pixcon 16 for example).

I could go on, but you can see that there are a number of situations that require running multiple LOR networks.  In my case, I run all of my sequences as intensity files, but I also need to be able to read inputs from an InputPup.  Therefore, I run one network at 115K speed enhanced, and one at 57K non-enhanced.  For Christmas, I add a 500K enhanced network.

I helped another member with the same prob. Here is what happened and why you had a sequence playing without one written.

You have 4 AC controllers one of them is probablu unit 1.

You set up the pixie without switching the dip switch. It reverted back to unit 1.

When you played the sequence you had light because you have a unit 1.

Its that simple. As I mentioned in my first reply. Correct the config and you fixed the problem

The tree didn't light up after LOR helped you because it had no sequence written to it

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Dibble, that's a great point and you reminded me of a quirk with similar results that I ran into recently.  This probably is not related to the OPs issue, but something to keep in mind.

Recently I went into the Hardware configuration panel and accessed the "Cosmic Color/Pixie Config" panel to change RGB order.  The controller accepted the change, but it also RESET the device ID of that controller to ID 01.   That was totally unexpected as I did not tell it to reassign the device ID.  The 2nd problem is that the hardware panel did NOT update the contents of the dropdown list box to indicate it changed the ID.   I spent an hour trying to figure out why the lights were not working before I REFRESHED the hardware display and realized it changed the ID.

Incidentally, if I change the number of pixels per port and the resolution to another value. on the config panel, it will also change the device ID.   Seems like a bug to me.

3 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

Dibble, that's a great point and you reminded me of a quirk with similar results that I ran into recently.  This probably is not related to the OPs issue, but something to keep in mind.

Recently I went into the Hardware configuration panel and accessed the "Cosmic Color/Pixie Config" panel to change RGB order.  The controller accepted the change, but it also RESET the device ID of that controller to ID 01.   That was totally unexpected as I did not tell it to reassign the device ID.  The 2nd problem is that the hardware panel did NOT update the contents of the dropdown list box to indicate it changed the ID.   I spent an hour trying to figure out why the lights were not working before I REFRESHED the hardware display and realized it changed the ID.

Incidentally, if I change the number of pixels per port and the resolution to another value. on the config panel, it will also change the device ID.   Seems like a bug to me.

I don't have one connected at this time but during Beta testing the pixie16 I do not think we can actually change the resolution in HU. Note that I was testing first gens and I have not yet built my current gen so maybe it is now doable. We also have no advanced functions. That is why the pixie is more affordable and a good pixel controller to start out with. 

So not a bug, perhaps with the new dip switch controllers there is a switch setting for some advanced control, I haven't read the new manuals but if the resolution can be changed it would be found in the manual.

Its simplistic once you figure out how to set it up. That is all I run. 16's, 8's and 4's.(as far as pixel controllers)

JR

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

So not a bug, perhaps with the new dip switch controllers there is a switch setting for some advanced control ...

OK JR, I accept that.  Perhaps I was not clear why I call it a bug, or my definition of a "bug" is different.   I used that term by thinking if the software does something that I don't ask it to do, like changing the device ID, and then doesn't update the display to inform me that it changed the ID, I am confused trying to find what went wrong.  I'm hopeful that could be changed in the future.